Rear end problems

red cobra 03

Established Member
I come across posts about whining noise in rear end or carrier bearing issues in our 8.8. My question is how many people are having these issues? I am about to have a set of nitto 555r's put on this Friday, tired of my car not having any traction. No issues yet but putting on the dr's does this put me at risk for rear end issues or am i over thing this? I don't do hard launches just 2nd and 3rd gear pulls.

railroad

Established Member
Other than second guessing your choice of tire for your type of driving, you should have no issues. I have replaced the gears with 3.73s. No noise before or after the gears or the R888s. Like you I do not do clutch drops and usually accelerate from a roll.

OKBandit

Established Member
Seems to be hit and miss. Mine was whining with less than 1000 miles on the stock gear, stock everything down to the tires setup (2014 base model). Whines louder now with the 3.73 set. I do go to the track on occasion and run a 15" wheel M/T tire so it is what it is but the 8.8 is not strong enough to really use the car without some help. I'm not really sure even with help it's adequate to drag race. I have not seen a successful attempt at it yet.

Beercules

Established Member
Don't do hard launches and as long as the diff is set up right it should be ok.
When you launch the pinion deflects away from the ring gear a bit, and the launch forces on the gear teeth are enough to set up a second pattern. Either Strange or Currie told me this second pattern is what causes the whine.

The reason the 9" doesn't have this issue is because it has a 3rd pinion bearing that doesn't allow it to deflect away from the ring.

If you're nice to the diff and it starts to whine a bit after a gear change its probably due to the bearings 'wearing in' and loosening up. Needs reshimming and should be ok. Usually preload during initial setup takes the wear in into account and is set up tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread