Rear end Problem

03VenomBite

Established Member
The rear end is making some strange noises. It makes a binding noise when I back up and to the right. The noise isn't there every time though. It also makes a clicking noise in the rear when going forward and turning right or left and even straight ahead. This noise also happens very rarely. The noise while going forward or turning is the same noise that you would hear on a front wheel drive car if the strut or wheel bearing was going bad, a click, click, click noise. The binding sounds just like that a binding noise then something gets back in place with a little bang!?!

My only change this year that I made to the car is the rear tire is now a street tire and not a DR. The only modes to the rear is the IRS brace, 100 mm wheel spacers, and H&R race springs.

If you guys have any help that would be great! It's going to the Ford dealer service tomorrow and if I could have some things to tell them that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance

Peter

2001asp

Established Member
Bad weather kept me from going to the shop today. Any ideas, anyone?

So what did it turn out to be? I just did a search and my left rear is doing a little bit of the same. I can only hear it at very slow mph, perhaps 1-5 mph. Let me know what you find. I think mine is a bad wheel bearing and hub on the left side. The left is notorious for coming loose due to the reverse thread pattern. $154 for the hub, $45 for the bearing, and $9 for the retaining nut. :(

03VenomBite

Established Member
So what did it turn out to be? I just did a search and my left rear is doing a little bit of the same. I can only hear it at very slow mph, perhaps 1-5 mph. Let me know what you find. I think mine is a bad wheel bearing and hub on the left side. The left is notorious for coming loose due to the reverse thread pattern. $154 for the hub, $45 for the bearing, and $9 for the retaining nut. :(

Haven't had it in yet, weather is ugly! Hopfully soon. If you get yours in let me know what you find out, I'll do the same!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
ever find out what this is? im starting to get a clicking noise coming from my passenger side rear wheel. it happens when taking off from a stop, and often times when starting out in reverse.

from the searches i have been doing, i have came up with - retaining nut being lose, wheel bearing, or half shaft needing replaced. not sure which one it needs, or really if any of those are truly the answer. my brother-in-law is a mechanic for a living...i guess i will try swinging by his shop tomorrow after i get off work, so he can put it up on a lift, and take a look under there.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
^ I also have had this for some time now only taking off from a stop,Now I get a double click one from each side. I have check all wheel bearing for play & I tork the retaining nut every few months. my car has 4200 miles & nothing is warn from high miles just HP. In my opinion & A shop I had lessen to it its in the half shaft. I still launch it like a mofo ! I guess I wont know for sure until they break & I replace them. I'm so used to it now that the creaky back seat bothers me more!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
^ I also have had this for some time now only taking off from a stop,Now I get a double click one from each side. I have check all wheel bearing for play & I tork the retaining nut every few months. my car has 4200 miles & nothing is warn from high miles just HP. In my opinion & A shop I had lessen to it its in the half shaft. I still launch it like a mofo ! I guess I wont know for sure until they break & I replace them. I'm so used to it now that the creaky back seat bothers me more!

well i went by my bro's shop yesterday to get this looked at, and about a block away from his shop, my car started over-heating and puking coolant. i limped it to his shop, and we ended up having to tend to this issue (with a coolant flush, new coolant, and find out why its over-heating...which turns out is b/c of my fan quit working. new fan will be here thursday), and didnt get a chance to look at the back wheel. once my fan gets here, i will be going back to his shop, to get it installed. i will have him take a look at the back wheel at that time. once i get back, i can tell you what the cause of it is...at least what is causing it for me.

one thing i read though, while doing research on the wheel clicking, is this....IF it IS your half-shaft (like you think yours is), then you should be able to take it to a mechanic, and they can pack it with grease, which should stop the noise. i should also note though, that this is just a band-aid fix (from what i have read)....it will stop the noise for a few months, but it will eventually come back. i know one thing is for sure....if it turns out to by MY half-shaft, i will be making sure he packs it with grease, b/c this clicking drives me nuts. EVERYTIME i take off from a start..."click click"....ugh.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
^^ just adding a small update^^

UPS is showing my cooling fan, for my car, is supposed to arrive friday. i forgot about them being closed today (the 4th of july). so i wont be able to add my next update to the problem until friday of this week. eh well....at least its only 2 more days.

04screamingvert

Established Member
Sounds like a CV joint. Same type of sound from a front wheel drive Honda I had to change the complete axle.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
alright fellas, so here is the deal (with my situation/problem, anyway).so i was getting the dreaded tick, tick, tick....or pop, pop, pop...or tink, tink, tink (WHATEVER the "F" you want to call it, coming from my back passenger wheel.
so today around 1 pm i went to my bro shop to have it looked at., and make sure the cooling system is ok.first we flushed the cooling system again, put in new flood/coolant/water/watter wetter,etc.....then burped the system..then installed my new cooling fan, for the radiator (my whole reason for over-heating).

then we turned our attention to the clickng back wheell we pulled the wheel off and the retaining nut was a little loose. we tighened it up, and packed it, and everything else we could back there (behind the wheel) all with grease....greased up all of the rest of the IRS. no more noises, or clicks upon take-off! thank god! and no more over-heating/puking coolant!! yay!!!

i do realize though, that tightening the retainer net, all of the lubing/greasing on the back wheel/half-shaft is only a band-aid fix, and it will eventually come back. ugh. *SiGh*

seems like she is good to go now...not running hot, not puking coolant, not bogging, etc, etc.

awesome!!

Last edited:

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
I had the same problem. It went away. It was weird, I could loosen up the rear axle nut then re-tighten it/torque it and then it would stop. that was after a brand new rear bearing.

asierra1

Established Member
I've just fallen victim to the dreaded clicking noise. Putting the car on a lift tomorrow to check everything. I figured it was just more nvh from the ftbr kit, but it's constant.

Sent from my iPhone while killing America's enemies with pure awesomeness

jervis

very misunderstood
Established Member
I had this happen once and it turned out to be a CV but not about a year later it's back and identical to what your symptoms are so maybe its time to check the retaining nut. Thanks for letting us know what you found I'm sure there lots of cars with this same noise concern

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
alright fellas, so here is the deal (with my situation/problem, anyway).so i was getting the dreaded tick, tick, tick....or pop, pop, pop...or tink, tink, tink (WHATEVER the "F" you want to call it, coming from my back passenger wheel.
so today around 1 pm i went to my bro shop to have it looked at., and make sure the cooling system is ok.first we flushed the cooling system again, put in new flood/coolant/water/watter wetter,etc.....then burped the system..then installed my new cooling fan, for the radiator (my whole reason for over-heating).

then we turned our attention to the clickng back wheell we pulled the wheel off and the retaining nut was a little loose. we tighened it up, and packed it, and everything else we could back there (behind the wheel) all with grease....greased up all of the rest of the IRS. no more noises, or clicks upon take-off! thank god! and no more over-heating/puking coolant!! yay!!!

i do realize though, that tightening the retainer net, all of the lubing/greasing on the back wheel/half-shaft is only a band-aid fix, and it will eventually come back. ugh. *SiGh*

seems like she is good to go now...not running hot, not puking coolant, not bogging, etc, etc.

awesome!!

My car is definitely doing the click click click, so can you give a little more detail? Did you remove the rubber boots on the half shafts and pack them that way?

Whats the going rate on a new half shaft?

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
If you search on "tink noise" there are a bunch of threads from back when the cars were newer. Ford was replacing the hubs and axles left and right.

Does this noise indicate a real problem or is it just an annoyance?

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Update: I pulled the wheels and retorqued the axle nuts to 250 ft/lb and the noise is gone, I'm shocked. The LR nut only turned 1/16th of a turn, but the RR turned about 1/8th of a turn. The noise seemed to be coming from the LR, but with such a small amount of tightening needed I never thought it would make a difference.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
same thing mine did..i'd losen the axle nut and re tighten it and the noise would disappear.

horspla2000

Established Member
an 1/8 of a turn can increase torque a TON. Torque something once. (like a lugnut) then add 20-30 ft. lbs. to it and retorque it. There will be almost NO movement to add 20-30 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread