Rear End Pop

Mustang Mike

Established Member
Well I took flyin high again's advice and called svt and made a service appointment. They told me they only needed the car for a hour, which we all know is bs right off the bat! Anyways I went with the tech and we heard the pop during a drive around the parking lot. He went over the car with the tsb and did everything it said. Second test drive it was even more noticeable. So three hours later and a rent-a-car my car is still being worked on. I told the mech to take those wheel hubs off and inspect them so we will see what they come up with. I'm just glad im not getting the normal "oh, thats normal" excuse. Hopefully they will figure it out and get it right. I will let everyone know what it was and how it was fixed as well as reporting this back to svt.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Same thing here. This is day 3 that my car is at the dealer for the pop. They can' figure it out. The dealer put a call into Ford Engineering for help.

Mustang Mike

Established Member
Well I got a call from the servicing dealership and they want the car until Monday now???? As long as the get it right I don't care, I just want it right now while she
s stock so they cant blame me for abuse or anything like that.

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
had mine service for both kinds of pops, TSB for turning on incline pop seemed to work, however i still noticed the straight line launch pop, plus now my car feels like its pulling to the left???

they also put a new TOB in, the new ones are light as hell!!! i dont know if i like it, it feels so light, you dont feel like its grabbing anything.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Mike and Unit 213,
Mine is going in Monday. I'll take pics if I can. Let us know what happens with yours. Good luck!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Originally posted by Mustang Mike
Well I got a call from the servicing dealership and they want the car until Monday now???? As long as the get it right I don't care, I just want it right now while she
s stock so they cant blame me for abuse or anything like that.

Mine is spending the weekend as well.

pgordon

Established Member
I drove to the dealer last night and found a station right next to it with an incline. I made a right turn and heard the pop from the back. I went to the dealer today, scheduled appointment, as the tech to ride with me to show him the noise. I went into about 6 different right turn inclines including the one at the station and ofcourse it did not make any noise. I tech suggested to bring it back when the problem is repeatable. He also said the weight of the oil used should be 5/30 not anything different for the 03 cobra engine. I did not think it mattered much and mentioned I thought 10/30 is ok. Anyhow guess I will just wait and make sure it is happening pretty regularly.

Mustang Mike

Established Member
Oh yeah, no chit Mike! Now that I think about it that seems to be a common problem.

Rwick7

Established Member
Had mine go bad in my GT at about 20,000 miles...no problems at all with the snake. Your gonna want a new clutch eventually anyway...just change it then...if it's bad that is

Mustang Mike

Established Member
Well just an update on my situation. It was supposed to be done Monday and they called and said Tuesday. I got a message from them today, Tuesday and they said now it wont be ready until Wednesday. According to them the problem was the sway bar and they are waiting for it to arrive that's what is taking to long. Anyone with the popping problem, was your problem the sway bar? I've heard bad hubs and improperly torqued bolts but never a sway bar. Let me know please. Thanks in advance.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
The only Fix so far is to replace the rear sub frame. The steps given by Ford Hotline can get fustrating to your tech and you the customer. We finally gave up and put a subframe in and fixed the car. Good luck, hope they can get it fixed for you.

flyn high again

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
The only Fix so far is to replace the rear sub frame. The steps given by Ford Hotline can get fustrating to your tech and you the customer. We finally gave up and put a subframe in and fixed the car. Good luck, hope they can get it fixed for you.

It seems to me that there are at least two different problems going on. The starting out in first and reverse rear end pop and the turning on an incline rear end pop. Now you mention putting a subframe in. Is this for the turning on an incline pop? The new halfshafts and hubs that I got yesterday have definitely stopped my "pop" so far. If you haven't read about mine, it was the starting out in first and reverse pop. That makes 2 '03s that I know personally that have had this pop fixed by new halfshafts and hubs.

I worry that since Ford is replacing with the same parts, my problem may reoccur over time. The invoice on my repair was over $800. Our warranties run out eventually.

Hopefully Ford will come up with a permanent fix for these problems. I think everyone should keep posting with their experiences. The data can only help Ford [and us] find the answers.

SVT Advisor,
I always appreciate your posts. I wish more Ford people would get involved with posting on these and other forums.

too slow

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR

I believe that this is my car that SVTADVISOR is talking about.
My car had the halfshafts replaced one month ago for the pop upon launching. Three days after I picked it up, the pop came back. Only now it was upon the incline! It has been in for two weeks now and the subframe ( Cradle ) was named the cause. I sure hope that this will finally resolve the situation and let me enjoy the vehicle for more than two weeks at a time, I've had the car for 5 months and had it in for service 3 times now. :cuss: To date it has been in for service a total of 25 days since I took possesion of it back in April. I apologize for the rant but I'm really frustated about this...

Which reminds me, anyone know the TSB for the "pull to the right" on these cars? I've voiced my concerns at the service department regarding this issue and the Tech gave me the "due to the tire size on these cars, this happens to be normal" remark.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :??:

Mustang Mike

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
the rear pop tsb is to retorque everything, including, the rear sway bar. perhaps yours is chowed from being loose for a while.

I doubt it, their is only 600 miles on it and it was doing it during the test drive with only 18 miles on the car.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Is there a way to check the hubs to see if its causing the pop? What do I look for?

grnenvy

Established Member
The tire's on these car suck . They cause a shitty ride do to run-out and you need alot of weight on the rim to balance them. Also they make some cars pull I had to take the tire's off the front and turn them around that helped my car to stop pulling. They are a directional tire so that is the only way to flip them from right to left , unless you just move then to the back and I couldn't do to the nitto's. Also I had my car aligned at JD"S it was way off from the factory. The car drives like a dream now there is know drifting or tracking what so ever. So good luck

flyn high again

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Is there a way to check the hubs to see if its causing the pop? What do I look for?

The area where the halfshaft and hub teeth meet is where Chicago Mike and I saw our problem. Have them look there.

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread