rear end pop/tink

eddy z

Established Member
fyi--next week wed, i am taking my car into the dealer to look and hear the tink,deal.. this is a great shop. its called Victor Ford, if you are familar with the Chicagoland area. spoke with them this morning as they are in the know, ect.. they are way to famialr with this, and said there are several bulletins on this matter. they said the "irs in genral just causes alot of noises.. slop in the set up.. solid axel way to go.. not too much tha can be done to fix this noise. things can be replaced but nesscary will not rid of the noise,ect..." they will look at my car and tell me where its at,ect.. I will post the results next week on this..

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
If you have the clunk from forward to backwards it's the 1/2 shafts. The CV's losen up.
No fix for this, just normal where and tear.

eddy z

Established Member
agreed, keep in mind i had this nosie since it rolled off the truck with 30 miles..

Established Member
My irs tink and pop is gone. Took my car into the dealership, showed them the TSB on it and when I went to pick it up that night I haven't had a 'pop' since.

PacWest

Established Member
My IRS ticks when I first move the car. It's most noticable on the passenger side.

I did not know there was a TSB out for this...cool.

Ryan

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
NOT THIS AGAIN! !&@^!&*^@! SEARCH BUTTON!

If you can recreate the tink sounds, which occurs 1-4 times when you first start out in reverse or 1st from a complete stop, you have prematurly worn halfshafts.

Have them remove your wheel hubs and inspect the axle splines.

The fix: replace joint assemblies, wheel hubs and axles. I had mine replaced at 700 miles. I have almost 4000 miles and the pop/tink from start in first/reverse has never returned. Flyn High Again (Cliff) also had this problem as did other users here, and they found worn halfshafts when taking it to an SVT dealership that had a tech that wanted to find the cause of the pop. Wheel hubs must be removed and splines inspected, or they will give you the runaround.

The pop TSB is for a noise on incline only, the "incline POP".

Last edited:

Emil

Established Member
Mine's going back to Arlington Heights Ford on Monday for the same noises. It's really annoying driving it with the windows closed, it sounds like a piece of junk. I'll let you know how it goes too. (500 miles on it)

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
You Chicago/IL guys should go to the meet this Saturday or go to the SVTOA meet in June. Bunch of 03 Cobra experts there, I bet we could tell you what the problem is.

I won't be there ... but Cliff is supposed to be at the Bill's Drywall meet tomorrow in the south burbs ... he knows what the pop/tink sounds like.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I will be a Bill's if anyone wants me to listen to his car. Like Mike said, new halfshafts and hubs fixed mine. No Tink so far since replacements. I just passed 10,000 miles. There is a lot of info on the pop/tink in previous threads if you can find them...

Hey Mike, we pulled HJ16's blower for porting today. He's on his way to Michigan with it. Maybe you can wave to him on your way to Canada. :-D

Last edited:

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
Originally posted by Emil
Mine's going back to Arlington Heights Ford on Monday for the same noises. It's really annoying driving it with the windows closed, it sounds like a piece of junk. I'll let you know how it goes too. (500 miles on it)

That's where I bought mine. Did you take it in? If so, how'd it go?

Users who are viewing this thread