Rear End Pop/Tink poll

Does your '03 Cobra rear end pop/tink?

• My car's rear end pops/tinks when starting out in first or sometimes in reverse.

Votes: 107 31.4%
  • My car's rear end pops/tinks when turning on an incline.

Votes: 89 26.1%
  • My car's rear end pops/tinks when starting out AND when turning on an incline.

Votes: 69 20.2%
  • My car's rear end does not pop/tink ever.

Votes: 76 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

snidow

Established Member
hmwave, they did the work on the TSB, but I talked to them again today and they are going to work on it again, I will tell them about the half shafts and hubs. Thanks for the help.

hmwave

Established Member
I'd accept nothing less than new halfshafts and hubs as that is what is needed for the tink/pop problem.

That's what they did with mine a year ago and the pop/tink has not returned.

snidow

Established Member
Thanks hmwave, I'll tell them that's what I want done and fill you in aftwerwards. I appreciate the advice guys!

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave
I'd accept nothing less than new halfshafts and hubs as that is what is needed for the tink/pop problem.

That's what they did with mine a year ago and the pop/tink has not returned.

I had my halfshafts and hubs replace in January this year for the pop/tink. It fixed it for about 4 months. Now its back....:shrug: It's really frustrating.

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by Hicompression
I had my halfshafts and hubs replace in January this year for the pop/tink. It fixed it for about 4 months. Now its back....:shrug: It's really frustrating.

Did they fit the newer part #'s from Ford?

The original hubs or halfshafts or both had a metallurgy 'issue' that caused them to wear especially if the hub wasn't bolted down tight.

Wonder if they used the earlier parts or didn't do the job right?

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave
Did they fit the newer part #'s from Ford?

The original hubs or halfshafts or both had a metallurgy 'issue' that caused them to wear especially if the hub wasn't bolted down tight.

Wonder if they used the earlier parts or didn't do the job right?

...don't know. Like I said it was pop/tink free for about four months. Then it came back.

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
I had the rear end pop pretty bad in my 03 cobra vert and when I would turn the car at low speeds it would make some goddamn screechy racket, like an old mattress or something. They did the TSB on the bolts in the back. For the front, they pulled the entire rack and pinion assembly off and changed out all the bolts, nuts and bushings, and the problem hasn't returned since then. They even replaced one of my foglights that was full of water. I've been pretty satisfied with the service department here.

Flooznie

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member

Same thing happened to me. Had the half-shafts and hubs replaced and it fixed it for about 1000 miles.

Now the noise is back with a vengance. :(

hmwave

Established Member
...don't know. Like I said it was pop/tink free for about four months. Then it came back.

I'd take it back and have them check they fitted the newer parts. Sounds like they didn't or didn't quite do the job right.

BTW, nice to see so many other MG's.
I like them too...

Cobra_012.jpg

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by Flooznie
I had the rear end pop pretty bad in my 03 cobra vert and when I would turn the car at low speeds it would make some goddamn screechy racket, like an old mattress or something. They did the TSB on the bolts in the back. For the front, they pulled the entire rack and pinion assembly off and changed out all the bolts, nuts and bushings, and the problem hasn't returned since then. They even replaced one of my foglights that was full of water. I've been pretty satisfied with the service department here.

Flooznie

I wish we all could have service departments as wonderful as yours sounds.

DOHC03

Established Member
My pop/tink has not come back since I lubed/re-tightened my rear axle nuts a couple months ago. I had a halfshaft replaced previously for the pop/tink.

Lawman

Established Member
I never had the problem of the "pop/tink." However, my differential started leaking last year. I brought it to the dealer, and it stopped. Last week, it started leaking again. Ford ordered a complete rear end for my car, and will be installing it on the 7th.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
My car is still pop/tink free after the halfshaft and hub replacements. So many variables with this problem that we may never track down a fix that works for everyone. I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having this problem reoccur. Please keep us informed with any future pertinent info. :beer:

snidow

Established Member
Okay, last friday they did the TSB work on my car and the car popped shortly after leaving the dealership. Now, for the past two days it has not popped at all, even when I try to make it pop it hasn't. Guess I will drive it some more and see what happens.

Fleck 5

Established Member
I took mine in for a squeeking noise. They fixed it the 4th time I was there. It went away for a while. Now I have a popping sound when the back of the car flexes a little. I will have to take it back to Ford this week as it is getting worse.

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
Two new half shafts installed (warrenty repair) and the tink is gone. Passenger side was the worst.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Well, my tink just went away, guess whatever was grinding, wore thru. On to the streering creak.

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
The percentages are still holding around 80% for cars with one or both pop/tinks and 20% for cars with no tinks at all. 80% of the cars having problems seems like a substantial number to me. Has anyone talked to Ford about this problem recently? I wonder what the corporate line is now. My car still has no pop/tink after halfshaft and hub replacement last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread