Rear end paint?? Powder Coat?? Please help me out!!!

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
As most know I'm doing a frame off restoration of my 2004 Lightning, had the frame powder coated glossy black, and getting all of the other metal pieces powder coated that bolts to the frame, now I have this rusted rear end that looks like garbage. I need ideas on what to do with it. I threw around the idea of a 9", but it will be a cruiser more than a track truck. so not sure I want to start changing brake lines, custom driveshaft, etc etc

any ideas??

IMG_1313.gif

miclightning

SVT Detailer
Established Member
if you dont mind taking your time.

clean it all off with 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water

then sand it all down a little.

spray some high heat primer, then few coats high heat gloss black. should look good

-Sean

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
if you dont mind taking your time.

clean it all off with 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water

then sand it all down a little.

spray some high heat primer, then few coats high heat gloss black. should look good

-Sean

Time is what I have plenty of, main problems I see with powder coating (although would probably look the best) is breaking it all down

I'll probably clean it a little better with your suggestion and give it a try painting it, if it doesn't come out perfect then off to the powder coaters

any other suggestions??

miclightning

SVT Detailer
Established Member
Time is what I have plenty of, main problems I see with powder coating (although would probably look the best) is breaking it all down

I'll probably clean it a little better with your suggestion and give it a try painting it, if it doesn't come out perfect then off to the powder coaters

any other suggestions??

cleaning it a "little better" wont do you any good.

you can make it look better than powdercoating, just depends how much time/effort you want to put in.

to be honest there are no other options unless you buy a whole new rearend that is already painted.

its either powdercoat or paint. good luck :beer:

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
cleaning it a "little better" wont do you any good.

you can make it look better than powdercoating, just depends how much time/effort you want to put in.

to be honest there are no other options unless you buy a whole new rearend that is already painted.

its either powdercoat or paint. good luck :beer:

how would the paint hold up compared to powder coating??

slow232

I
Established Member
If you have access to a high pressure steam cleaner it will make it a ton easier and much faster. After that u can use rattle cans.

Last edited:

miclightning

SVT Detailer
Established Member

well if you do it correctly. it will hold up just fine.

i use that high heat stuff on my calipers sometimes. so you kno if it can take that heat, the rear end will be cake walk.

your best bet would be to clean it all, steam cleaner as suggested above is a good idea.

do it all black, and buy a new diff cover. Mine is from Level 10. looks great.

slow232

I
Established Member

I steam cleaned and sanded my mustangs rear and used rattle cans to paint it and it still looks good, last time i power cleaned the underneath of the car it shinned pretty good.

It is all in the prep work, if you clean it up really well, sand it down and use a good primer then the paint will stick.

RedFox

Established Member
I started using POR 15 on my suspension stuff. Its an epoxy paint which is even harder than powdercoating. Easiest stuff I've ever used to put on.

I'm really hard to impress and I'm totally sold on this stuff. Go to their site and read up on them.

Red

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
I started using POR 15 on my suspension stuff. Its an epoxy paint which is even harder than powdercoating. Easiest stuff I've ever used to put on.

I'm really hard to impress and I'm totally sold on this stuff. Go to their site and read up on them.

Red

+1

Use POR-15. It has a VERY durable, and factory look.

s|ck

Established Member

Red

I used the POR-15 stuff on my engine bay and frame rails, it's definitely good stuff but I used a Brush to paint it on and I think it looks like crap.

So I'm re-sanding everything and starting over with a sprayer. Already did one side of the frame rails and it looks tons better!

It's a bitch having to sand and scrape that stuff all over again tho :whine:

RedFox

Established Member
I used the POR-15 stuff on my engine bay and frame rails, it's definitely good stuff but I used a Brush to paint it on and I think it looks like crap.

So I'm re-sanding everything and starting over with a sprayer. Already did one side of the frame rails and it looks tons better!

It's a bitch having to sand and scrape that stuff all over again tho :whine:

With excellent prep., the parts I did almost looked like they had been sprayed. On top on being super durable, it levels off like nothing else I've seen before.

If you want the ultimate, you can spray POR-15. Just don't get it on something you don't want because it ain't coming off. :nono:

I have another car that I may be spraying the entire underbody in the spring. Will be basically sealed for life.

Last edited:

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
I would definitely powdercoat it if I were you. You've spent so much time and money on the whole truck, why skimp here?

s|ck

Established Member
Well then it will probably cost you what $50 to do that rear end? lol I'd go for Powdercoating too. Let us know how it turns out.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
+1

Use POR-15. It has a VERY durable, and factory look.

+2

I have used the product before, absolutely an amazing finish if you sand it down well.. But even if you dont, it still looks acceptable in places you dont see much.

Users who are viewing this thread