Rear end noises. Help?

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
Hey everyone, recently I have been having some issues with my 2012 GT that has close to 20K miles on it. The issue is a grinding or rubbing sound coming from my rear end. It started happening When I go on trips over 150 miles or so. My first trip I took in my stang was a few months ago was 500 miles. Most cars thats no issue but once I went about 150 miles, it seemed like something was rubbing underneath when I took turns. I jacked the car up on multiple occasions to no success. I have tried Ford Service and they keep turning me away saying they refuse to look into it until I can recreate the sound, which is kind of hard to do when I have to drive a few hundred miles to get the sound to occur. Anyone have the rubbing and or grinding sound when the car heats up to a good temperature?

TL;DR My car is making noises when I drive for a while and it sounds like the differential or axle is grinding when I take turns (mostly to the right but sometimes to the left). Ford Service refuses to help. Any suggestions?

dead man walkin

Established Member
I have the same issue recently. . I think it's the clutch packs in the rear diff.. I'm actually having it looked at this week. I'll let you know.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Things that time (heat) effects:
Exhaust expansion, differential fluid, tires.

If you drive for 200 miles, get the sound, then stop for a minute or two and go again does the sound start right away?

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Hey everyone, recently I have been having some issues with my 2012 GT that has close to 20K miles on it. The issue is a grinding or rubbing sound coming from my rear end. It started happening When I go on trips over 150 miles or so. My first trip I took in my stang was a few months ago was 500 miles. Most cars thats no issue but once I went about 150 miles, it seemed like something was rubbing underneath when I took turns. I jacked the car up on multiple occasions to no success. I have tried Ford Service and they keep turning me away saying they refuse to look into it until I can recreate the sound, which is kind of hard to do when I have to drive a few hundred miles to get the sound to occur. ...

tcole42294,

Did you reach out to Ford Service on another forum or social media site? I don't have any record of speaking with you. Please send me a PM with your case number and/or VIN, and I'll see if there's anything additional I can do to help.

Ashley

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
I know for sure that it has something to do with heat because if I sit for a little bit it'll stop. If I'm on a long trip and I stop for gas and I keep going, no thats not long enough.

Sorry for the confusion, I reached out to my local Ford service departments in both cities I live in, (Myrtle Beach, and Daytona Beach) but with no luck.

dead man walkin

Established Member
Mine turned out to be rear brakes. Apparently traction control applies the rear all the time to slow you down.. and when it senses you are driving fast or its wet out it kisses the rotors to dry them.. result. . Warped are worn rear rotors. .. on a drive they heated up.. made noise. Cooled warped.. etc.. looks like I'll be going thru rotors every 3 years

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
Maybe I should go check mine. Would I be able to visually see the rotors as being warped?

Users who are viewing this thread