Rear end noise

LilBerx

Established Member
Well fellas, I'm having some issues.

I bought a BONE STOCK 97 cobra with 68k miles.... It had been sitting forever. (It's a grandpa mobile)

When I bought the car I had new tires mounted and balanced.

Well, I had a sound coming from the passenger side, sounding like a bad wheel bearing, or a out of balance tire, there is no vibration, unless your going 41-49 mph.

I took it to the local tire shop and they told me it was a wheel bearing
I replaced both of the wheel bearings last Friday and it was a little low on gear oil, the diff fluid had never been changed in this car, there was absolutely NO signs of the diff cover being off. My buddy who does jeeps helped me out, everything looked good inside.
I drove the car, and still has the damn noise.

I took it to a friend who is a certified mechanic at a shop, we lifted it up and put it in gear and spun the tires, he told me its a wheel bearing. Not a pinion or anything.

I'm just trying to get down to the problem.

Could it possibly be a worn down, or tweaked axle shaft?...

A bent wheel?

The sound doesn't go away when you push down on the brakes, or pull the e brake.

I'm just totally slumped, I want to get it fixed ASAP.

Please chime in, I would highly appreciate it.

Last edited:

LilBerx

Established Member
Also, I have a 88 GT with a well built rear end and tubular u/l control arms, would this rear end bolt right in if I swapped my axles over to it?

LilBerx

Established Member
Does the sounds keep happening when in neutral at a stand still? If it does I would be looking towards a TOB.

No, only when moving, any gear, neutral or not. I'm going to change the brake pads and see if that does anything, but not for a couple days, I'm tackling a few other things on the car today.

Speeda86

Established Member
No, only when moving, any gear, neutral or not. I'm going to change the brake pads and see if that does anything, but not for a couple days, I'm tackling a few other things on the car today.

Ok I dont think brakes are the issue..reason being you stated the sound does not go away when you press on the breaks. Is the sound more pronounced when turning a certian direction? You can try this but be careful: Jack up the rearend and place jack stands on the axle tubes then with the engine running put it in first or second/thrid (41-49) and let the clutch out slowly... and see if the sound is still there...if it is, you know its something in the rearend/transmission if not the you know it is something up front...hope this helps and be careful. Is it a growl sound or a metal to metal sound?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread