Rear end noise

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Hey guys I just got the car back on the road and I have a terribly loud noise coming from the rear. It goes away when I stop. I am thinking bearing related. I installed a ford racing cover, my friend said the brace bolts may be too tight and putting pressure on the bearings. I will loosen them up this weekend. I took a quick vid, sorry for the shitty quality it was the best I could do before work. Alot of wind noise but hopefully you can hear it and give me your thoughts.

th_VIDEO0088.jpg

Again you can barely hear it but its there. I will get a better video this weekend if loosening the brace bolts dont fix it.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Did you put in harder diff bushings? Sometimes the harder bushings amplify an already failing bearing in the diff.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Yes I did I put in poly diff bushings. It's really loud, loud enough that I think I would have heard it before. So I'm hoping it's because the brace bolts are too tight.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Also when I refilled the diff I did not use friction modifier. The royal purple says it is not needed. Although I have heard that some still use it.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Also when I refilled the diff I did not use friction modifier. The royal purple says it is not needed. Although I have heard that some still use it.

Yeah, the royal purple already has friction modifier added. I had a similar issue after adding a diff cover and mm bushings, was pretty load. Turned out the carrier bearings were toast. I would rule out your wheel bearings first before tearing into it. We put the car on jack stands and used a stethoscope to see where the sound was coming from well running the cars drivetrain.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I just went today and lifted the back up and put it in first. It sounds like the little shield behind the rotor is almost rubbing on the passenger side. The driver side I couldnt really turn by hand, I think it is rubbing where the irs mounts. I got under by the diff and over them other two noises it was too hard to hear anything there. I will pull the tires this weekend and see what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread