rear end noise/vibrations

Vito93

Established Member
I just recently bought a 03 cobra and when i got it the guy i got it from said the rear end whines from the way the gears are cut so i am going to replace them because it is pretty loud and i dont know if it is just that when he did the solid rear swap that he messed them up or what. another thing is when im going about 80 when i let out the car shakes but if i put my foot in it the car rides smooth? does anyone have the same problem or have had that problem and got it fixed? any input would be helpful:shrug:

'88347coupe

just a good ol boy
Established Member
The gears were installed incorrectly causing the whining noise, and you have way to much negative pinion angle causing the decel vibration.

Vito93

Established Member
That's what I have been told other than driveshaft and u joints so hopefully it's not a combo of both thing but who knows thanks for the input.... I'm going to buy new gears and I have heard either 4.10 or 3.73! What ones should I get

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Instead of buying more gears, first check the torque on the pinion nut/crush sleeve. Then check the lash and coast on the gear set. A good rear end tech can have those checked in short order if you cannot do the work yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread