Rear end noise..need expertise

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
So don't laught but I have a strange noise coming from my rear:p and no I didn't eat tacos lol.

Seriously, there is a "rubbing/bumping/barking" noise that creeps up through the drivetrain up to around 1800 rpms. It sounds like a fat wheel rubbing and causing a vibration or barking from a seal (the mammal). However there are no clearance issues with my tires. It almost sounds like the left axle (I have a solid 8.8) or the driveshaft vibrating. I have taken out the driveshaft, replaced the left rear wheel bearing, inspected the universals, and still no luck.
I ran the car up on a lift to duplicate the sound, and while doing that I noticed the left rear wheel wabbling a little bit as well. This may be totally unrelated.

So I have been told many things....

1)either just replace the left axle (but it would also be a louder, constant more violent issue) and

2)replace the rear fluid, add a new diff cover and see if that works.

Do you guys have any ideas on this? The noise seems to go away after 2K rpm, and it happens while on the gas or just rolling in neutral.

Please help!!

Thank you,

Fred

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
I think something like this is impossible to diagnose on a message board.

You really should take it to a shop, it could be dangerous or nothing at all....but still....

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
Thanks man, I hear ya. Just figured you guys have experienced this already. I just don't want to spend $250 on an axle to find out it was the rear, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread