Rear end is leaking.

djom1cincy

Established Member
Went to the track Friday and Saturday. Made about 10 passes total. Friday was on street tires with no traction. Saturday on d.r. and hooking up good. Well tonight I moved my car and seen a oil spot where the rear was. Looked under the car and its leaking out of the gasket at the cover. Sorry I cant think of the proper name but where the gears are. Anyway. Is this a common thing to happen? I had a little wheel hop Saturday on my first few passes. After lowering the tire pressure it hooked with no hop. Don't know if this caused the leak. If the wheel hop caused it is there anything I can get to help keep this from happening again? I've got a warranty so I'm just waiting on word if I have to return the car to stock to get it fixed. Thanks for the info.

Jroc

Established Member
Get it resealed.

Having the rearend on these cars start leaking from time to time is pretty common. I've had mine resealed twice and I don't DR. Once it was leaking out the cover, and another time it was leaking out the front by where the DS connects.

Last edited:

hinds04

Established Member
Very common, happens on the GTs as well. I am having mine resealed this Friday along with some other stuff installed.

djom1cincy

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I'll have to schedule with the dealer for later this week. Hopefully I dont have to take off the intake and pulley.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I wouldn't worry about it b/c it will probably start seeping again...mine leaks a quarter size every week...I refill the diff/check the fluid every month...
If you DR, it will probably leak again, and this is why I don't worry about it...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
is there an actual gasket? or by gasket do you mean the seal itself.

OEM seals it using a nice thick bead of RTV. if someone resealed it using a gasket.....theres your problem.

Get it resealed properly.

djom1cincy

Established Member
Its RVT. I just slid up under the very back end and ran my finger across the bottom. Didn't know if there was also a gasket. The RVT is squizzed out of the faces around what I could see.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
get it re sealed, its not good to drive with a leaky rear. Mine leaked and it turned out to be a bad seal and alot more due to oil running low and scoring all the bearings. You really dont relize how much oil leaks out by just seeing some drips.

get it fixed. period.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Try torquing the cover bolts to spec, clean it up, and check it in a week. If it's still seaping, get it resealed.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
sounds like you'd better go with a diff brace install with that reseal, especially if you track the car. cheap insurance and might as well if working on diff

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Have any of you guys ever noticed if the fluid was coming out of the bolt thread holes? I'm curious if doing a fastener "wet" install with a little RTV would help in those instances?

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
LOL why did it take 10 posts before someone mentioned the IRS brace?

OP, the leaking is normal and its a known issue with these cars..especailly if you race them. Get it resealed....and get the diff brace from Billetflow and you'll be in good shape

wrc7732

03 SB SVT Cobra
Established Member
Either an IRS brace, (Steeda, or Billetflow) or for what you are doing, maybe even a FORE billet IRS cover should be used. Otherwise you are going to continue to twist the case and cause it to leak. Eventually you could end up with a case that leaks front, rear, and sides, and won't reseal.

Great to hear you're running the car at the track, but if you're going to keep it up, you should definately invest in one of the above.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
slap some grey RVT silicone around the leaking area ... problem solved and nothing is removed or reinstalled from the car:beer:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
slap some grey RVT silicone around the leaking area ... problem solved and nothing is removed or reinstalled from the car:beer:

Well said, I just clean it with brake cleaner, and just slap some new stuff around the edges...I would check the fluid though...trust me man...if you drag race, this is something you want to know how to do, b/c it will start leaking again and resealing the diff can get costly if you don't do it yourself...

Users who are viewing this thread