Rear End Gears...Help!

Performer5Oh

Established Member
I am looking one day to get the crappy 2:73 gears outta my 5.0. I want to go to a 3:55 or a 3:73. I have a AOD, and it will have a 2000-3000 street/strip stall converter. What is the best gear for my car? How much difference will I notice it being a auto?

Thanks
Randy

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
If you're gonna keep your AOD, and plan on racing the car, I say go with 4:10's. If you plan on changing to a T-5 speed, then go with 3:73's.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by hillie16
If you're gonna keep your AOD, and plan on racing the car, I say go with 4:10's. If you plan on changing to a T-5 speed, then go with 3:73's.
Substitute "C4" for "T-5" and the response would be the same...for me, anyway.

Welcome back, Hillie!

Performer, you will be even more delighted with your car when you get gears...anything over the 2.73s...you will notice "a lot" of difference :-D

Blackgeetee

Established Member
What I was planning on doing (probably next year) is swapping in 4.10's to go along with a T-56 which is a six speed. That extra gear should allow relatively low rpm's for highway cruising compared to 4.10's with a five-speed.

Right now I have 3.27.

Performer5Oh

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
Substitute "C4" for "T-5" and the response would be the same...for me, anyway.

Welcome back, Hillie!

Performer, you will be even more delighted with your car when you get gears...anything over the 2.73s...you will notice "a lot" of difference :-D

Thanks, I know anything over the 2.73's will be better. Unfortuantly I am a High School student and money is short. My dad has had 11 mustangs in the last past 3 years and i've helped him put gears in it. Its not that bad, after you get the hang of it. I really wanted a t-5 car, but this one was too clean to pass up. How much is a t-5 swap?

Thanks guys.
Randy

Blown306

Established Member
I'm going to 3.73's with 26" tall tires, and 4.10's with 28" tires...I've got a TSI AOD with PI Stallion TC, 2800 stall.

With 4.10's & 26" tires, you may start to run out of engine in the quarter...(assuming stock rev limits and typical power curves of course)

Performer5Oh

Established Member
I was thinking about some 3:73's and a PI Stallion Stall. How good does yours work Blown306? How much $$$ did you pay for it? I'll be looking to get in the low 14 to mid 14's with that.

Blown306

Established Member
I love it...construction and quality is top notch. It really woke up the car. Plan to get set back $600-$700 tho, and don't forget the trans cooler, it's a must!

:burnout:

BTY, mines a non-lockup...the trans was modified and has a soild input shaft...

Performer5Oh

Established Member
Originally posted by Blown306
I love it...construction and quality is top notch. It really woke up the car. Plan to get set back $600-$700 tho, and don't forget the trans cooler, it's a must!

:burnout:

BTY, mines a non-lockup...the trans was modified and has a soild input shaft...

Thanks, i've saw some non-lockup B&M street stalls 2600 rpm for around $230. Are they as good? Or should I save up for a PI Stall?

Randy

Bruno

Established Member
T-56 ?

Six speed tranny swap? I was not aware of the option. Could you please post links you might have on installation/Cost?

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Re: T-56 ?

Originally posted by Bruno
Six speed tranny swap? I was not aware of the option. Could you please post links you might have on installation/Cost?

I don't know of any links but I've read somewhere that it's possible. It's way in the future for me so I haven't really researched it yet.

svo1990mustang

2.3 + turbo = fun
Established Member
3.73's and 3.55's would be my vote because 4:10's would give you too high of a highway rpm, and your gas mileage would suffer, that is if you care about that. However if your thinking about a C4 with the 5.0L engine I would lean toward 3.73's

Just my $0.02
Darryl

nicetry

Established Member
gears

we have built many different vehicle combos from simple stock improvements to extreme nut cases and 373 gears always
works very well with all of them, sure we could get better
drag strip time with a 410's gear or better economy with 308's
but 373 is the best"all around good for every thing" gear.
even with a c4, c6, t5, aod, t400, glide, t56,ect.
just remember to take your tire size into consideration when you make your decision about what gear to run.
Jr
:beer:

LI-SVT

Established Member
Most guys I have talked to with AOD perfer the 3.73 to the 3.55. The 3.73 is a great gear on the street. No down shifting(manual) necessary. Just punch it and go. They also go well with the Motorsport T-5 that has the taller first gear. IMO 4.10 is too much unless the motor is pulling hard over 6000 RPM.

khaine

Established Member
I'm running 3.73's in my 02 gt right now, and I'm looking to do a t56 swap once I break my tranny, which also means getting the crossmember for it, and a new drive shaft, yay another $600

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
go 3.73 especialy with the auto
if you are going to race the auto will be more consistant but i think it is more fun to shift ....... in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread