Rear End Gears......Help!

Performer5Oh

Established Member
I am looking one day to get the crappy 2:73 gears outta my 5.0. I want to go to a 3:55 or a 3:73. I have a AOD, and it will have a 2000-3000 street/strip stall converter. What is the best gear for my car? How much difference will I notice it being a auto?

Thanks
Randy

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
With an auto, I would go with the 3.73 gears. I had some 3.73s in my 90 LX 5 speed 5.0. It really woke it up. I could smoke the tires in 1st and 2nd, and chirp them hard in 3rd. I could take off in 2nd easily and I once let a girl drive it who mistakenly took off in 3rd:??: car did not mind it too much feathering the clutch like she did:gt:. I would say to go with the 3.73 gears. If you really want to get that auto moving, put in some 4.11s. They would probably be too low for everyday use.:thumbsup:

Performer5Oh

Established Member
yeah, well one day I was planning on putting a C-4 in it. I think i'm gonna go with the 3:73's..... What do you think my 1/4 times will be with the 3:73's... And I am gonna also put some wider tires on the back. Now I have 225/60/16's. I'm gonna go for some 275/60/16's. Thanks
Randy

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
It would be hard to say. If you have never driven your car at the track, it may be slower than you posted above. If you are a fair driver, it might give you 2/10ths or so. Don't quote me on that, I can't remember what the average is.

Performer5Oh

Established Member
I think I am a fairly good driver. Since its auto, theres not much shifting to do. I do the 1-D-1 shuffle though. I think with the gears, better tires, and a stall I could get mid-low 14's.
Randy

Black93Cobra

Established Member
With the heavier convertible and the auto, I would definitely start with 3.73's. Is the car your daily driver? If you are only interested in quick acceleration, then maybe a step up to 4.10's would be in order with the AOD. If you switch to a C4, 3.73's would probably still be best. Just my $.02

Performer5Oh

Established Member
Originally posted by Black93Cobra
With the heavier convertible and the auto, I would definitely start with 3.73's. Is the car your daily driver? If you are only interested in quick acceleration, then maybe a step up to 4.10's would be in order with the AOD. If you switch to a C4, 3.73's would probably still be best. Just my $.02

Yes its gonna be a daily driver, i'm only 16. I am going to buy some FRPP 3:73's soon. I've also heard of the motive 3:90's, I don't know how much they are though. After the gears, stall and aluminum driveshaft with traction i'm hoping high 13's. I doubt it though it will have to go on a diet and a couple of more bolt ons to get in 13's. :D

-Randy

Users who are viewing this thread