rear end differential problem....

Darth Racer

Established Member
I've a got an '11 GT500....about ~ 700 RWHP. UPR uper/lower control arms; CHE relocation brackets; adjustable panard bar; drag springs. I'm using a MT 28x10.5x15W (11" tread width) slick. After 8 passes, the limited slip....slipped.

What differential would you recommend for my power application? I'm still using the OEM 31 spline axles. I really don't want to use a spool. I've heard good things about the Detoit Locker (but it's 'noisy'), but I'd like to get some feedback on this problem.

To repeat, I need something that can hold up to the stress of drag racing. Many aftermarket differentials have been lacking in that department.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
We use the Eaton True Trac on our street/strip cars, very happy with it's operation. They work well and are quiet, although few and far between, some cars will have a slight noise on decel in the lower speeds. We haven't experienced this, but we've had 2 customers that did and Eaton says it is normal. I still highly recommend this differential based off our success with it and it's street manors. Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

Darth Racer

Established Member
We use the Eaton True Trac on our street/strip cars, very happy with it's operation. They work well and are quiet, although few and far between, some cars will have a slight noise on decel in the lower speeds. We haven't experienced this, but we've had 2 customers that did and Eaton says it is normal. I still highly recommend this differential based off our success with it and it's street manors. Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

After thinking about it, could I use a spool on the street? I don't drive the Shelby that much. So, it might be the cheapest & simplest route to go with a spool?

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
After thinking about it, could I use a spool on the street? I don't drive the Shelby that much. So, it might be the cheapest & simplest route to go with a spool?

Spool is NOT recommended for the street! Go with the detroit locker instead and don't look back. They aren't that noisy and difficult to drive as many have indicated. I drove my 71 Mach 1 on the street for years with a detroit locker and never had 1 problem whatsoever! Just be careful going around tight turns---easy on the gas. ;-)

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Of course you can, but driveability will suffer and when it comes to making turns, especially U turns, your turning radius will suffer a lot. You will also be putting more stress on the axles when in turns and wear your tires out faster as well.

Darth Racer

Established Member
Guys, thanks for all your advice. It's a difficult decision because one guy will love a particular aftermarket differential, and another guy will hate it. Hard to find an consensus on any one brand.

I think I'll go with the Detroit Locker.

Darth Racer

Established Member
Of course you can, but driveability will suffer and when it comes to making turns, especially U turns, your turning radius will suffer a lot. You will also be putting more stress on the axles when in turns and wear your tires out faster as well.

I'll order the Detroit Locker from Lethal, but I need the correct PN for the Detroit Locker that fits my application. I'll also need the PN for the bearing kit. So, if you can pass along those part numbers, I'll order the parts.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'll order the Detroit Locker from Lethal, but I need the correct PN for the Detroit Locker that fits my application. I'll also need the PN for the bearing kit. So, if you can pass along those part numbers, I'll order the parts.

Here's the link to the correct locker you'll want to order.

Detroit Locker 8.8 31 Spline Differential [187C145A] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

We've got them in stock with same day shipping.

For the bearing kit you can use any 8.8 gear install kit or get the race and bearings by themselves for around $45.00. We don't list the race and bearings separately on the site though so if you want to order them individually just give us a call and place the order over the phone.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Users who are viewing this thread