Rear end build up and drag setup

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
So I've gotten everything under the sun lined out on my car save the Rear End and the Drag Wheels. Had a few questions I wanted to run by and see if anyone had some solid input.

I was planning to build out a 8.8" Rear with a spool and a 35 spline kit with 9" ends, c clip elims.

But part of of me thinks go with a Fab 9" with a spool or posi like the moser M9 and never worry again with a bit more selection of gear ratios.

Also lastly I wanted to run a 15x10 drag rim with a bit less back spacing than 7.5" was wondering to see if anyone has shortened their rear to accommodate a smaller back spacing like 5.5" or 6".

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Force Induced;1376550 Also lastly I wanted to run a 15x10 drag rim with a bit less back spacing than 7.5" was wondering to see if anyone has shortened their rear to accommodate a smaller back spacing like 5.5" or 6".[/QUOTE said:
Curious to this myself....

Bud

Established Member
If you are doing 9" ends on your 8.8 you have to cut it so might as well narrow it some at the same time if you want.

Strange sells the CJ 9" bolt in rear, that is what I'm running and it is narrower and takes a 15x10 with 6" backspacing wheel. I kind of wish I'd have stayed with the 8.8 for less weight and less power to turn though. Here is my setup with a 6" backspace wheel:

bs21.jpg

Last edited:

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
Yea I was thinking of having the rear cut an inch on each side so I can run a smaller back spacing. I'm thinking of having strange just build out a 8.8 for me as I have a brand new drive shaft waiting but my racing buddy is insistent on a 9" lol. Do you know how much weight diff there is ?

Bud

Established Member
Yea I was thinking of having the rear cut an inch on each side so I can run a smaller back spacing. I'm thinking of having strange just build out a 8.8 for me as I have a brand new drive shaft waiting but my racing buddy is insistent on a 9" lol. Do you know how much weight diff there is ?

Why not save dough and just build your current 8.8? Cut ends, weld 9" ends on with it jigged, throw a brace on it and call it a day. Not sure how much weight diff there is between the 9 and 8.8, I should have weighed them. I'm running an aluminum center and spool so my 9" is still pretty light.

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
Well if I went 9" it would probably be a Fab 9" housing with the spool etc. But i'm really leaning towards the built 8.8.

Stevem17500

Established Member
re

If you are doing 9" ends on your 8.8 you have to cut it so might as well narrow it some at the same time if you want.

Strange sells the CJ 9" bolt in rear, that is what I'm running and it is narrower and takes a 15x10 with 6" backspacing wheel. I kind of wish I'd have stayed with the 8.8 for less weight and less power to turn though. Here is my setup with a 6" backspace wheel:

bs21.jpg

Hey deuces 12 what does ur car weight with u in it

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I shipped my rear to Moser and had it built. I went with a 33 spline wavetrac, 33 spline axles, extended studs, 9" ends, abs rings,welded axle tubes, 3.25 rear gear, and ford racing diff cover, assembled and powdercoated. I also purchased a CHE axle tube brace for when I get around to installing the rear.

My reason for keeping the 8.8 was because I already had lower control arm relocation brackets welded on, purchased a driveshaft, had had full rear suspension for the 8.8.

Bud

Established Member
Dam I wish mine was close to that...u must be fully gutted

I didn't think the car would end up as light as it did or I wouldn't have been so OCD about it when building the car. AC, Heat, center console, and stock dash and related components are gone. Running MMR's fiberglass dash which is a good looking piece. Stock dash and console would probably add back ~60lbs or so. Still have all the rest of the plastic interior panels, door panels, carpet, stock glass, and package tray in the car. If minimum weight wasn't 3300lb for the class I race in i'd probably try to get it even lighter.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member

bs21.jpg

I know that car... This car is why the word badass was created... :rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread