rear drag setup help!!!!

ous2418

Established Member
ok the car does nothing but ice skate when i try to lay the hammer down.. power wise its around 630-640rwhp. ive now had nitto and bfg 315/18 tires on car and both really are useless. ive been recomended mt drags but honestly ive seen mixed reviews and dont want to spend the cash and it really not cure my problem. so for now im wanting to get just rear wheel and slick setup. ive been lookin at the billet specialties but want to here everyone's opinions on what to get both brand and size wise. also what tires and tire sizes recomended as well??

btw my car is a built 98 sra. will i need spacers or any other parts needed for setup?? also right now not lookin for fronts just rears.

mdrc347

Established Member
Summit makes a wheel that is just as good for half the money. Looks similar to a weld, and still uses acorn lugs, which I like. Don't know if it clears stock rear brakes, though. I am running a straight axle with GT brakes. As far as tires, you will have the best result from a true slick. I like the Hoosier Quick Time Pros. You should be able to fit a 28" tire under there with the right wheel. But, I believe it requires a 6.5-7.0 in backspacing. If these don't hook, nothing will, and you will have to move on to suspension.

mdrc347

Established Member
ok the car does nothing but ice skate when i try to lay the hammer down.. power wise its around 630-640rwhp. ive now had nitto and bfg 315/18 tires on car and both really are useless. ive been recomended mt drags but honestly ive seen mixed reviews and dont want to spend the cash and it really not cure my problem. so for now im wanting to get just rear wheel and slick setup. ive been lookin at the billet specialties but want to here everyone's opinions on what to get both brand and size wise. also what tires and tire sizes recomended as well??

btw my car is a built 98 sra. will i need spacers or any other parts needed for setup?? also right now not lookin for fronts just rears.

Sizes I would go with is a 15X10 wheel with a 28X10.5 slick. Like I said, I believe the wheel backspacing will need to be 6.5-7.0 inches.

ous2418

Established Member
yea i was thinkin of the hoosiers as well. as far as suspension i dont know what else to really do?? ive already got tokico d specs, upper and lowers, sway, sfc's, struts, coilovers, and k member. i really thinks its these dam bfg's it like im ice skating. even in 3rd

mdrc347

Established Member
I think you are on the right track. Try tires first and go from there. I wouldn't think those tires would hook on your car. These should. There is still tons you could do in the rear suspension.

lxlawWFO

Terminator LOVER!!!
Established Member
Billet specialties makes a 16x9.5 for the rear. It will take a 6.25 back spacing. Will fit a 10" slick perfectly. There ya go, now go get em' killer.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
I have a 98 cobra rear end in my 01 cobra.... i am running a weld drag light 15x10 with a MT 275 60 on it and i had issues with the wheel rubbing on my banjo bolt on the rear caliper. I am not sure of the backspacing as i bought them used from a guy who had them on a 98 mustang, but it took a 3/4 spacer (3 inch extended studs of course) to get the problem resolved. I will probably end up ordering a new wheel with a different backspacing because i really dont like that big of a spacer because only a few threads stuck out from the wheel. Before anyone comments, yes i am using the correct lug nuts to fit the welds so they are sunk into the wheel and grab alot of threads, but i wish it had a few more threads sticking out for my own sanity.

Users who are viewing this thread