Rear differential leak

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
I need to fix the leak on my rear differential. What do I need to get this done? A guide and/or step-by-step directions would be great. Thanks!

2004 REDFIRE

Established Member
diff

I dont know of a step by step guide but I did 2 weeks ago and do not ever want to do it again. I took the 2 bolts out of the rear bushing(connects to diff. cover)...took the bolt off on the other side of the bushing housing...(undone the tie rod that blocks that bolt)....I then took the irs subframe bolts out ...then took apart that diff brace that has the weighted rubber square on it....this allowed enough play in the diff for me to wrestle the diff cover completely off....I didnt know what I was doing before I started this so someone else might have an easier procedure.:nonono:

Jroc

Established Member
Its pretty common for the differential on these cars to leak. I've have mine resealed twice, but I don't do it myself. The first time it was leaking from around the housing cover, and the second time it was leaking out the front of the differential where the driveshaft connects.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Its pretty common for the differential on these cars to leak. I've have mine resealed twice, but I don't do it myself. The first time it was leaking from around the housing cover, and the second time it was leaking out the front of the differential where the driveshaft connects.

How much do you think I'd be looking at, cost-wise, to get it resealed/refilled?

2004 REDFIRE

Established Member
I put royal purple 75 w 140 in it. I also put rv sealant and a gasket. Ive read to just put a small amount on the diff cover but some say put more. It leaks I think because it clunks around twisting the differential. I also had to put 4oz of friction additive in also. If you did it yourself I would think it should run about $55 for parts and a few hours of your time. I CANT pay someone to work on my cars unless Im completely confused but then again I dont have alot more money to spend on this car.

Jroc

Established Member
How much do you think I'd be looking at, cost-wise, to get it resealed/refilled?

Not too much I don't think. It depends on how much labor an hour the shop you use chargers. I had mine resealed both times when I was getting other work done to it. The first time I was getting my IRS bushings and C//O's installed, and the second time I was getting my clutch installed.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
mine is leaking after i installed the brace ... of the 5 "smaller" bolts you remove to install the brace, the second bolt (2nd from the bottom... close to the passenger exhaust pipe... is leaking around where the brace meets the plate. i removed that one small bolt out and it had lube on it.. any thoughts? i put silicone on the bolt(not the threads tho) and replaced it... and siliconed all around that portion where the brace meets the plate. well see how that works out... i freakin hate little leaks:fm:

Users who are viewing this thread