Rear differential cover removal?

mustangsally50

She Bites
Established Member
I'm trying to remove the rear diffrential cover to drill and tap the holes for a differential cooler, but I really don't want to remove the entire diff. Is there a way to pull off just the cover without removing the driveshaft and diff?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
No. Driveshaft, halfshafts must be removed and the pumpkin must be dropped to remove the rear cover. The IRS subframe won't let the cover past the ring gear. I tried every which way possible to remove the cover on my car and it's just not possible. I know this probably isnt what you wanted to hear. Good luck

mustangsally50

She Bites
Established Member
I was REALLY afraid you were going to say that. Guess I can stop trying to work around it. Thanks!!!

Any tips for removing the half shafts?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
A few...

Remove the half shaft and the knuckle (hub) as an assembly. Place a screw driver between the exciter ring for the ABS and the diff housing. Pry outwards to disengage the halfshaft from the diff, be careful not to damage the seal in the diff. You wont damage it if you dont pry on it while trying to remove the half shaft.

Index the shafts so they can be reinstalled the same way they came out, this'll eliminate a possible vibration after reinstallation.

Index the alignment washer on the UCA(s), this will allow you to get your alignment back to what it was or almost what it was.

gud2goe

Established Member
just as 98 said...it is that simple.....dont be like me...the crossbar bolts (support at the fwd of the diff)..can be accessed from fwd of the irs subframe...i kept looking from the backside of the diff and didnt see them so i pondered the removeal for a day or so...(LOL what a dumass ia mm..lol :mj: )

might as well do gears while it is down..and bushings and springs...i lowered mine for springs and am ending up doing gears bushings rotors pads

Last edited:

mustangsally50

She Bites
Established Member
Thanks guys. That's what sucks is that I've already done MM bushings and springs, so I've got the IRS drop down pretty well. But I was worried about removing the halfshafts without having Ford special tool #whatever and damaging the seal. Wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread