Rear differential at 13.6k miles?

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
As many of you know, I recently picked up a 2006 Viper with 13.6k miles. I didn't have a chance to drive it down in Ohio as it was snowing when I was there. I noticed right away when I was able to drive it in NY that there was a straining noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when turning. I discovered there may be an extended warranty on the vehicle that expires FEB 2013 so I brought it up to Smith Haven Chrysler Jeep Dodge to have an oil change and multi point inspection performed yesterday. I pointed the noise out to the service advisor and Viper tech on board and right away they told me it could be the rear differential.

After picking the car up, everything looks good, but the differential needs to be rebult. Turns out the warranty had to be transfered from the previous owner so this will be a customer pay repair. Worst case $3800.00 + tax depending how bad it is (only know when the diff is dropped). All I have to say is... WOW!

My question is, with very low mileage (even though it's a 2006), will Dodge participate in repair even though its not a warranty related issue? I'm a service advisor at Nardy Honda where if a car with similar stats as this, Honda will play a huge part in repair costs to help the customer. Now I know we're comparing apples to oranges, but has anybody had an experience like this where Dodge has stepped in on such a situation?

I emailed the dealer that sold me the car yesterday (Thomas Classics in Akron, Ohio) to let them know what I was just smacked in the face with. Haven't heard anything back yet as of right now (typical). They're all about their reputation and how people buy cars un-seen with no problems and all the jazz. They we're pushing for me to fill out a survery on Cars.com right away but I didn't because of this exact reason. They advertised the car as if it was a gem (don't get me wrong, it's the cleanest car I've had other then the rear diff) but this was never mentioned once before selling the car.

If you were me, what would you do?????

This was the email I sent to the selling dealer (Thomas Classics in Akron, Ohio). Holding back from what I really think right now! :fm:

Chad/Sam - Sent Sam an email yesterday but haven't heard back. Finally had the Viper checked out. Everything looks great, besides the fact that the rear differential needs to be rebuilt. $3,800 + tax quoted from Smith Haven Chrysler Jeep Dodge. Why was this never mentioned? What can we do to make this right? Please contact me via email/text/phone call. Thanks

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Considering you work at a Honda dealership you probably know more than any of us would, but my gut tells me you are gonna be SOL. A Viper is not an Accord that is used for DD and grocery getting. Even if it isn't the case with that car, the dealership will likely say that the car has been raced/abused and most of the time that voids any warranty that is present. But hey, it's worth a try to get them to cover part (of all) of the cost.

I would obviously not pay $3800 for a rebuild. I'm not familiar with a Viper's differential but it can't be THAT much different from from a Corvette's (or IRS Cobra) differential and it's likely there are other shops around that could handle the job for less than half that.

Last edited:

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
Considering you work at a Honda dealership you probably know more than any of us would, but my gut tells me you are gonna be SOL. A Viper is not an Accord that is used for DD and grocery getting. Even if it isn't the case with that car, the dealership will likely say that the car has been raced/abused and most of the time that voids any warranty that is present. But hey, it's worth a try to get them to cover part (of all) of the cost.

I would obviously not pay $3800 for a rebuild. I'm not familiar with a Viper's differential but it can't be THAT much different from from a Corvette's (or IRS Cobra) differential and it's likely there are other shops around that could handle the job for less than half that.

I have a few guys in the Viper club who have reached out to me saying they have their stock diff laying around if I want to replace the entire thing (which sounds like a better idea to me).

The thing that's bothering me at this point is the fact that Thomas Classics has yet to respond to my emails.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Not to hijack your thread but i work at a fairly high volume honda dealer as a tech, none of our service advisors are driving vipers lol! You must do a lot of business there and have a good company to work for, i know some of our guys make good money but i think a new audi a4 is the nicest car any one of them has. But i salute you man if i could afford it i would pick up a viper too, goodluck to you hope the dealer picks up the bill for the rear!

Planter

Banned
someone's been running the piss out of that thing at the drag strip if the gears are already out. either that or someone put in aftermarket gears and did a sloppy job. only thing that makes sense to me.

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
someone's been running the piss out of that thing at the drag strip if the gears are already out. either that or someone put in aftermarket gears and did a sloppy job. only thing that makes sense to me.

If that's the case, it doesn't make sense how the factory tires on the car have 7/32 all the way around. No rock chips anywhere on the vehicle, not even under the side skirts or rear bumpers where Vipers tend to kick them up the most! :shrug:

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
Not to hijack your thread but i work at a fairly high volume honda dealer as a tech, none of our service advisors are driving vipers lol! You must do a lot of business there and have a good company to work for, i know some of our guys make good money but i think a new audi a4 is the nicest car any one of them has. But i salute you man if i could afford it i would pick up a viper too, goodluck to you hope the dealer picks up the bill for the rear!

Thanks! I have a detailing business on the side as well that keeps me busy every weekend. :beer:

Planter

Banned
If that's the case, it doesn't make sense how the factory tires on the car have 7/32 all the way around. No rock chips anywhere on the vehicle, not even under the side skirts or rear bumpers where Vipers tend to kick them up the most! :shrug:

well, then i'd say someone put in aftermarket gears and didn't do a good job, cause I honestly don't know how a rearend with only 13K miles on it goes bad with no abuse.

just not something you hear about too often. I'd take it to a Dodge dealership and see if you can get them to warranty it. that low miles, regardless of how old it is, shouldn't have an issue like that.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
you bought a sportscar that was what, $80k MSRP brand new?

What did you expect, a $300 rear end swap like a Mustang?

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
well, then i'd say someone put in aftermarket gears and didn't do a good job, cause I honestly don't know how a rearend with only 13K miles on it goes bad with no abuse.

just not something you hear about too often. I'd take it to a Dodge dealership and see if you can get them to warranty it. that low miles, regardless of how old it is, shouldn't have an issue like that.

600 ft/lbs torque + shitty driver that can't shift can do that.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I had to put a rear end in my Dodge ram at 40k miles...and it's never towed or been down a drag strip. And not just a diff rebuilt, but an entire housing as well. Some pin came apart and tore into the housing and wore into the threads where one of the caps was. Completely ruined it. Was quoted over 3k at the dealership to have it done. Bought a craigslist rear diff for 100 bucks and put all brand new guts in it from Mopar and swapped it at home for less than 800 total. Chrysler rear ends FTL. And I work for them!

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
At this point, my biggest issue is the treatment I'm receiving from the selling dealer.

With the work schedule and recent weather, I haven't been able to take it anywhere. I contacted SRT to have a claim started in the event the diff fluid does not take care of this situation. They have been very helpful so far.

Chad from Thomas Classics finally contacted me. We talked about what was happening and in the event that the diff fluid does not take care of the situation what I could be faced with as far as repair costs for replacing/rebuilding the rear diff. Without hesitation, he let me know that he will not be participating in ANY repairs whatsoever! Following that, he began to go on about things that didn't check out on my old Viper such as a crack in one of the exhaust manifolds (which I had no idea about) and starting tallying everything up like we were keeping score on who's Viper was going to end up costing the most in repairs.

I could not believe the treatment that I was receiving as far as Thomas Classics taking any responsibility towards the rear diff. Last time I checked, as a dealer when you list a car for sale, it's to be sold as it was advertised where it has been carefully checked over before a sale is made to assure a happy client. As I mentioned in previous posts, the way Thomas Classics speaks about their reputation, you would think they would be on the next flight to NY to repair any damages themselves! Chad gave me the option to come take my old Viper back, but another 20 hour drive (there and back) isn't worth it to me as of right now.

We left off the conversation with me faxing over the receipt from Smith Haven Chrysler Jeep Dodge so he can have this info aside him for when he contacts Dodge/SRT himself. Of course, he stated that he would get back to me that day (Thursday/yesterday) which he didn't, and still haven't heard a thing from him as of right now.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
id be surprised if anyone assists you with this.

once someone gets your money they dont want to know you anymore.

it seems theyre just going through the motions dicking you around till you go away.

this is why i buy new or not at all. not that i havent been treated like shit by GM dealers trying to get stuff fixed and acting like im stealing from them.

usmc320

Established Member
I had to put a rear end in my Dodge ram at 40k miles...and it's never towed or been down a drag strip. And not just a diff rebuilt, but an entire housing as well. Some pin came apart and tore into the housing and wore into the threads where one of the caps was. Completely ruined it. Was quoted over 3k at the dealership to have it done. Bought a craigslist rear diff for 100 bucks and put all brand new guts in it from Mopar and swapped it at home for less than 800 total. Chrysler rear ends FTL. And I work for them!

Are you sure it was a Chrysler rear end? My Ram has a Dana 60/Dana 70 combo. It is made by Spicer/Dana for many manufacturers. Just sayin'.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
What rear does the 06 have? I put an 03 viper rear end in my Rx7. You can find them for sale for fairly cheap. Just buy and swap the entire pumpkin. You can do it cheap, don't even have to mess with the internals.

Edit, the 06 has the exact same rear as my 03. If you buy the entire pumpkin, it's probably 4 hours worth of labor. Obviously if you go through a dealer they'll gouge you as much as possible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2006-D...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread