Rear diff

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
What weight oil should I use in the rear diff? I'm not changing the fluid, just topping it off so I don't need the friction modifier.

Also, is that allen wrench bolt on the back side of the diff where the fluid goes? Can I use a 3/4" socket wrench to get that out... if that's the right bolt.

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
fluid type : 75/140 synthetic

tool needed : ( assuming you still have the OEM check/fill plug ) a slim head 3/8ths ratchet works best

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
3/8", that's what I meant... Thanks. Should I just fill it till the fluid is dribbling out?

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
3/8", that's what I meant... Thanks. Should I just fill it till the fluid is dribbling out?

Yeah you want the level of the fluid to be at the bottom of the fill/check hole when you are parked on level ground.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Im a amsoil guy, but Royal Purple u dont need any additives, so thats what im doing. 3/8 socket, but that suckers pretty tight. They say 1/4 to 9/16 below, but who knows, cant hurt to fill it up to it dribbles. And my garage aint level anyways.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
If you have the car off the ground, once you think it's full, spin the rear wheels and any access excess will come out. Then replace the plug.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
yep and if i am not mistaken it requires some friction modifier with certain fluids.

It already has the friction modifier in there. The diff was resealed less than 10K miles ago, but there has been a very small leak for the past couple thousand miles. I'm going on a road trip and figured I should fill it up before I drive long a distance.

Thanks fellas

Last edited:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
OK, I found out why my diff keeps leaking. The people who have been fixing the leak have apparently been over filling the shit out of it. I had the rear end of the car up in the air and the front still on the ground. When I popped that plug off there was about .5qt of fluid that drained out.

I'm assuming the heat/pressure was expanding and cause the seal to stretch and leak under load. It wasn't dripping while parked... just residue underneath.

So I just put the plug back in and that was it.

Anything else I should have done?

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
OK, I found out why my diff keeps leaking. The people who have been fixing the leak have apparently been over filling the shit out of it. I had the rear end of the car up in the air and the front still on the ground. When I popped that plug off there was about .5qt of fluid that drained out.

I'm assuming the heat/pressure was expanding and cause the seal to stretch and leak under load. It wasn't dripping while parked... just residue underneath.

So I just put the plug back in and that was it.

Anything else I should have done?

Make the guy who was doing it pay you back for doing his job.
Those are the kind of errors that are ridiculas for any shop to make if they had a clue of what they were actually doing !!

Last edited:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Make the guy who was doing it pay you back for doing his job.
Those are the kind of errors that are ridiculas for any shop to make if they had a clue of what they were actually doing !!

I would love to! But I think it's been too long to even try. Thanks again for your help the other day :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread