Rear diff wine

red cobra 03

Established Member
So I've had my 14 gt500 for 5 year bought it new 5 miles on odometer. Today I was taken the car for a ride to a friend's house to put headers on. So the rear seats where folded down because of the parts in the trunk. And I hear a wine coming from the rear end ugh. I have never launched the car hard. I know the rear end is a weak link. If I go to Ford they will not stand behind it. It has been turned it has not cai drop throttle body n headers on it so no warranty. What should I do now?

RBB

Established Member
Don’t worry about it, these rear ends whine. The more you beat on them the worse it gets. If you can only hear it when the rear seats are down then it’s a non issue.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Cars out of warranty?
If not they'd possibly repair.
Those mods don't void a rear warranty.
But I agree if you only notice with seats down, probably not a big deal.
If you want to fix it, you'd enjoy the car more upgrading the rear and adding gears.
What headers?
-J

red cobra 03

Established Member
Post should have said jlt and frpp not my miss spelling lol. Arh headers 1 7/8 primary's. Maybe I will take it into Ford. Purchased the car November 2013 so 5 year powertrain. I do drive the car hard minus hard launches. So if they fix under warranty so be it. Idk

RBB

Established Member
What kind of upgrades would prevent this. Have no idea other than changing gears.
Changing gears won’t prevent it. A couple launches on sticky tires and it’ll be right back. The Ford Racing G2 diff cover, Swarr Bar or CHE brace, and welding the axle tubes are good upgrades but won’t necessarily stop the whine from coming back. Some people have better luck with a solid pinion spacer rather than the crush variety.

Last edited:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Maybe add Dynamat to the floors/trunk floor?
I usually smack it from a slow roll vs a dig & don't have noticeable whine yet @ 6,000 miles.
If you only hear it with the seat folded, it may just be the nature of the beast!

Beercules

Established Member
Nothing. It's caused by the pinion pulling away from the ring gear under high stress and sets a 2nd pattern on the gears.

The sound travels up the control arms into the cabin echo chamber.

What kind of upgrades would prevent this. Have no idea other than changing gears.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Are any certain gearsets more (or less) prone to whine? My 2010 has whine too, and I'd like to rebuild it so that it's quiet.

Beercules

Established Member
No, the pinion neck just isn't thick enough to resist the bending moments imposed on launch.

They should have just shipped these with the strange 9" they throw in the cobra jets. And real forged connecting rods.

If you can find a way to reduce the propagation into the echo chamber you might fix it.
I haven't heard of anyone actually breaking the 8.8 ring/pinion... only the torsen diff.

Anyone heard what they're doing for the new gt500s diff wise?

Last edited:

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Are any certain gearsets more (or less) prone to whine? My 2010 has whine too, and I'd like to rebuild it so that it's quiet.

I had Power By The Hour set up a rear end for me. That car has way more reason to be noisy than your car does and it is very quiet. Prior to that, two other shops tried it and failed miserably.
You might try giving them a call to see what gear set they use. Talk to Frank and tell him why you are calling.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I had Power By The Hour set up a rear end for me. That car has way more reason to be noisy than your car does and it is very quiet. Prior to that, two other shops tried it and failed miserably.
You might try giving them a call to see what gear set they use. Talk to Frank and tell him why you are calling.

Scott, do you have their number by any chance? Thanks... It's not a huge issue, just something I will eventually tackle. The 8.8 seems like a whiney bitch. I drove a few prior to buying yours and they were all whiners.

red cobra 03

Established Member
So my whine is a pinion/ ring gear issue I take it from the comments. If the carrier bearing was spinning in the bearing bore or damaged would it not be a whingeing nose?

Users who are viewing this thread