Rear Diff troubles

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
My rear diff was leaking so I took it out to reseal. I popped of the cover and there was a considerable amount of gray sludge on the plug. I am assuming that is powdered metal stuck to the magnet on the plug. I guess in an ideal situation there would be none there, but how much is acceptable? How much should make me worry?

Next, what should I use to clean the surface of the cover before I reseal? Is brake cleaner ok?

04TorchedSVT

Established Member
I would think that no metal shavings would be ideal. Anything else and i would be worried and try to find out whats going on. Brake parts cleaner will work fine on the reseal.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
sounds normal, there is always some/little gray sludge on the magnet, and yes brake clean will clean it all up nice to seal up

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
You're always gonna have something there. Clutches wear ya know. Wipe it off, reseal it, put some friction modifier and fluid in and go at it again. There is usually about 1/8" of shavings on those plugs.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
Thats what I figured. I popped the cover and sat the diff over my oil pan so it would drain. Cleaned the cover, and picked up as much metal as I could with a magnet. I'm going to seal it back up and top it off with Mobil 1.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
So, this is what I dug up.

Torque Specs in Ft-lbs and Wrench Size

Rear axle nut 240 36mm
ABS Sensor 17 T40 or 1/2"
Tie Rod end 35 18mm
Shock Lower 98 18mm
Knuckle Upper 66 18mm
Knuckle Lower 85 18mm
Lug Nuts 95 13/16"
Diff Housing Cover 24 13mm
Filler Plug 25 3/8" squarei
Pumplin Front 52 18mm
Pumpkin Rear 76 15mm
Driveshaft 83 12mm 12 point

Mods: Maybe we can dump this in the tech section, or make a sticky for torque specs.

Users who are viewing this thread