Rear diff cover shattered.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The first example wasn't even a race car. It was a street car as I plainly stated. It's ok. I am done with this convo. It's like talking to a wall.

That might not be a race car, but it's a car that's racing. :read:

I GUARANTEE you it doesn't have a four link quadra-bind rear axle that 99% of the SRA conversions consist of!!! :idea:

95PGTTech

Established Member
Does the gr-40 kit utilize a live axle?? Does it go around corners good? That's the only point I have in this whole stupid thread. I'll repeat myself again for the thick headed dumb asses in here. I refuted a statement saying sra's will not go around a corner and are only good for going in straight lines. Well they can go around corners. And they do. They can be set up to corner really well. Does the gt500, which pulls almost a lateral g on the skid pad utilize the stock mounting points? Oh yeah. It does all that stock. That's the only point I am trying to prove. If that makes me a hypocrite so be it. I am not sure how it does but whatever helps you sleep at night

All you are proving is if you throw enough money at ANYTHING you can make it do ANYTHING. For crying out loud, they put a jet plane motor in a tank and made it work!

There is very little resemblance between the GR40 rear suspension and the OEM quadralink SRA. About as much resemblance as a leaf spring setup and the OEM SRA.

Please explain to me how, when going around a corner, it would not be beneficial for each corner of the car to move independently to maximize tire contact with the road surface. If what you are saying is true, you could make your Mustang faster by welding a pipe between the two front knuckles and creating a solid axle front suspension.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Lol this has gone to the dumb. Have you read any of my posts? Thats the only point I was trying to prove. Never once did I say an sra will out handle an IRS. IRS is designed for twisties. The only thing I refuted right from the beginning was the blanket statement that because someone was getting a live axle and swapping it for IRS he would not be able to turn his steering wheel any longer. If you had taken the time to read half my posts in this thread you would have seen that. A properly set up irs will handle better than an sra. Is the irs in 99 and up cobras properly set up. Hell no. Can It be? I am sure with enough aftermarket help yes. I have never driven a car with a fully built IRS in one of those cars. Can the guy who wants to put down power build an sra for his cobra and still take corners. Yes.. And that is the only point I have tried to prove in this thread. If you READ my posts you will see I even stated I did not intend to start an IRS vs sra pissing match. You will also note I repeatedly said i was refuting a blanket statement made by another member. I said this three different times. If you don't get it by now you should just join camaro5 or something. I hear a lot of people over there don't read and comprehend either.

T800

Established Member
Just as a reminder, this thread was started in an attempt to leave some useful information for anyone with a similar issue in the future or for someone considering using JUST a brace for their rear diff. The discussion should be how to prevent this and performance vs. comfort(meaning OEM vs. FTBR/MM/etc) not necessarily IRS vs. SRA.

I have seen IRS to SRA swaps break FIRST run at the track. With enough money and welding you can make either do something it was never intended for. So let's argue about how 5.0's suck and Terminator's rule instead. :bored:

I tore the car apart today(new cover gets here tomorrow) and discovered that the front differential bushing, especially the top drivers side, were toast. They had obviously been moving around significantly and this, along with other factory deficiencies, led to the cover's ultimate demise.

Will replace with Bruce's stuff and continue from there.

cobracide

Established Member
Just as a reminder, this thread was started in an attempt to leave some useful information for anyone with a similar issue in the future or for someone considering using JUST a brace for their rear diff. The discussion should be how to prevent this and performance vs. comfort(meaning OEM vs. FTBR/MM/etc) not necessarily IRS vs. SRA.

I have seen IRS to SRA swaps break FIRST run at the track. With enough money and welding you can make either do something it was never intended for. So let's argue about how 5.0's suck and Terminator's rule instead. :bored:

I tore the car apart today(new cover gets here tomorrow) and discovered that the front differential bushing, especially the top drivers side, were toast. They had obviously been moving around significantly and this, along with other factory deficiencies, led to the cover's ultimate demise.

Will replace with Bruce's stuff and continue from there.

Good plan

Users who are viewing this thread