Rear Decklid Fade

Lemonth

Established Member
Hey guys, I've been noticing a bit of fading off of the black decklid of my 2014 Race Red GT. It seems to be fading all throughout the bottom of the panel, at first it even seemed like it was cracking. Any idea what this may be caused by and would it be covered by warranty? I got this car at around 9k miles and the paint was just atrocious when I got it, which I haven't gotten to detailing it yet (as you can see by pictures) and the California weather isn't helping haha. It's very hard to capture a clean image showing all of it, I'll try again in the daylight. Any input is helpful :)

rXvJuDqm.jpg

fhoj8CLm.jpg

This picture grabs the fading well, it's streak at the bottom is not a reflection.
UV2YXSlm.jpg

Last edited:

GBCoyote

Established Member
I've got one if you want to end up replacing it. I have an RTR decklid now. Took off around 30k

466roller

Established Member
Mine just started to do the same thing, I've seen it on a few 13/14's. Thinking of removing it and painting it body color.

rayh91

Established Member
Have either one of you tried taking it to Ford for a warranty claim?

Sorry to bring an old thread back up. Mine was way worse than yours. I took it to Ford about two years ago when I had bumper to bumper still.

They denied it saying I had it painted and said that their clear coat doesn't fade like that. I was beyond annoyed and left. It's still on there and it's getting worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I took mine off at 3k miles and replaced with the RTR. Found it 2 years later and it was in pristine condition. Has to be related to the sun.

GBCoyote

Established Member
Mine is still in perfect condition also. Definitely sun/element related. Thanks again, Ford.

Douglas White

Established Member
I just ordered matte/satin black 3m vinyl. I'm going to cover the piano black with the matte. I'm tired of dealing with the micro-scratches that show up. Should be an easy fix that'll last 12 years. I have painfully corrected it a couple of times, and I'm going to do one more paint correction on it, and then put the vinyl on to protect it. The vinyl for the 10-12 that you can get on ebay does not cover the black hump that leads up to the faux gas cap. So i'm doing it myself.

It's really sad how soft the clearcoat is these days.

Last edited:

Lemonth

Established Member
Wrapping it should be pretty easy, just taking your time and be careful around the faux cap when you tuck it in. Are you planning on pulling the decklid off? I'm debating between doing that and just going with the RTR one, just trying to justify the 200 personally. But it is a much cleaner look, I'm not a big fan of that faux cap. Either way lets see some pics of when you do it!

Wish the previous owner of my car took better care of it. It's full of swirls and small scratches inside and out; the radio and clear plastic over gauges are scratched up. :/

Users who are viewing this thread