Rear coilovers

s351

Established Member
Hey guys I'm just curious if switching from stock rear bilsteins and steeda lowering springs to a set of the new viking rear coilovers, would be of any benefit to helping with some traction on the street. The car on with r888r's on the back does a lot better than I thought it would but I'd still like some more traction.

I drive the car a lot on the street, pretty much daily it in the summer, is why I have the r888r's instead of a drag radial. Would switching to the viking coilovers help or not really do anything, I already have a front tubular kmember with coilovers.

Thanks. Car is a 03 vert, single turbo

rymax101

Established Member
Coil overs will offer you the best in adjustability. You can stiffen or lighten the spring rate in the matter of minutes. And even quicker be able to change your ride height.
You are also moving the weight support from the spring pocket to the bolt further out on the control arm.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
You have to physically change the springs to change the spring rate. Adjusting the coil with the spanner wrench is only going to adjust the ride height, which you can fine tune to your liking. And realistically it'll take a little longer than a few minutes. If you're comfortable with the ride height as is, you could swap shocks to an double adjustable shock where you can adjust the rebound and compression. When the power comes on the rear end squats and the factory shocks will squat but they don't have enough rebound valved into them so it raises the car back up and reducing traction. With a DA shock you can get it to squat and stay planted till you let off the throttle. I had my car setup for drag racing. I didn't have any fancy tools or anything to dial the car in. My friend and I at the track used the slow motion feature to record my launches and you can see the car come back up after the launch and we were able to keep adjusting the rebound and compression just right so it stayed planted. I thought I would have to have two settings for track and street but it drove and handled just fine on the street. With a MT ET Street SS and a TVS on e85 & 22/23psi and 720/630 to the rear wheels, it hooked great on the street. During the cool summer nights in so cal is when I would usually take it out, it would dead hook 2nd gear at 40mph, and that's not feathering it either. That's a foot thru the floor wot blast. It would still hook in the cold but the tires needed a LITTLE heat in them first. You can't go wrong with swapping to a coil over setup or a DA setup if you want to save some money. I have the Vi-King DA shocks and stock springs on my car, great quality stuff.

s351

Established Member
Thanks for the reply's guys, ya I'm new to the suspension side of things, my horsepower levels kept climbing and now I'm at a level which probably is never going to work well on the street. Me car does pretty well second gear and on when things are warm out. I'm looking at the coilovers just to lift the car up a bit I mean it looks nice but the scraping is starting to get old. So The da shocks should be an upgrade over the setup now.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
They would be an upgrade yes, but if you’re looking to raise your ride height coil overs would be the way to go in your shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zredfire04

Established Member
have you replaced the stock rubber bushings in the IRS?

if not swapping them to prothane or a FTBR kit is the best traction upgrade you can do.

s351

Established Member
yes all the bushings have been done. Just looking for the next thing to try when it come to suspension and traction.

zredfire04

Established Member
adjustable shocks are probably about it without getting stickier tires.

keep in mind that more traction = more shit breaks

s351

Established Member
Ya that's my scare card is the shit breaking, I don't plan on launching the car from a dig, just rolls for know, until I see if I get the drag bug.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're just wanting to raise it a bit what about using polyurethane isolators? They're usually a little thicker and might give you the height you want.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

s351

Established Member
Ya, I'm just trying to decide if I want to take the 2 rear irs bolts out, to get the springs out, to do the full coilover swap. Seems like a headache, But once the springs are out it should go back up pretty easily.

Users who are viewing this thread