Rear Caliper Issue

945LSTANG

Established Member
i've been having issues with my rear driver side brake recently and decided i would start taking things apart today after class. in the process of disassembling the caliper i found this:

IMG00009-20091002-1807.jpg

IMG00010-20091002-1807.jpg

these score marks do not go around the entire circumference of the piston. they cover around 2/3s of it. any ideas what could've caused this and what i should do? the piston bore appears to be clean and I can't see any signs of wear. here's a pic of the bore:

IMG00011-20091002-1807.jpg

i realize you can't really see much in this pic, but maybe some of the more experienced members will see something that i don't. i can take better pics if need be. i also realized that i haven't finished disassembly. I just wanted to pause and get some opinions on the piston. thanks in advance for any advice that you guys give!

Rob

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Throwing this out there and likely you know already, but did you make sure the caliper's piston is lined up with the teet on the pad? I know this gets a bunch of people and if it was bound up I'd think it was possible to cause the issue you're experiencing.

945LSTANG

Established Member
Throwing this out there and likely you know already, but did you make sure the caliper's piston is lined up with the teet on the pad? I know this gets a bunch of people and if it was bound up I'd think it was possible to cause the issue you're experiencing.

yeah thats how it happened. it somehow slipped off the "teet" and began trying to push the pad up. the sliders are a little rough so that might have caused it. or maybe they weren't perfectly lined up the first time through. do you think its still good to just rebuild it? the scores are so light that you can't even feel them with your finger. thanks for the response. :beer:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
If it were mine I'd rebuild or price a new caliper. They're pretty common as I believe they're the same as the v6 and GT's as far as calipers are concerned.

945LSTANG

Established Member
If it were mine I'd rebuild or price a new caliper. They're pretty common as I believe they're the same as the v6 and GT's as far as calipers are concerned.

yeah i just decided to rebuild it anyway. i already had the parts so why not? if it decides to shit out on me, i'll just get new ones then. thanks again man.

Users who are viewing this thread