Rear bushing kit suggestions

bigwave

Established Member
My winter project is to replace the rear dif cover with a Ford Racing one I purchased a few months ago. Since I'll have to drop the IRS, I was kicking around replacing some or all of the bushings on the rear IRS, the car is pretty much stock, tire and suspension wise and during car show burnouts or hard acceleration it has had zero wheel hop issues.
1) What say you wizards? Should I upgrade the bushings, bolts, etc while down and apart or ???
2) Is there a "good" kit out there that's not a ton of $$$$, I know the F.T.B. is an awesome kit but, that's a lot of $$$ for something I drive 1500 miles or so a year, and taken to the 1/8 mile drag strip once a year for 4 runs or less with street tires on it.

Black2010

Established Member
I went with the Maximum Motorsports Polly bushings an have been very happy with them. I don't race the car and I put about the same number of miles on my car. The FTBR kit is awesome but that same as you I was looking more at just refreshing things than going all out.

Be prepared though. Changing the subframe bushings is a PITA. The diff bushings were pretty easy though.

bigwave

Established Member
Was planning on doing it over some VaCa days around Christmas using jack stands and floor jacks, is this doable? I do have access to a press if the sub-frame bushings are "movable" to a press.

partzman

Established Member
I have helped install 3 FTBR kits. Although we pulled the IRS on a Lift, the bushings were not difficult to remove. They were in 2 high mile cars(90k, 110k) and a 30k car. Propane Torch and a drill they came out just fine some times with very little effort. I went all in with FTBR and was pleased with the results. NO wheel hop and litttle added NVH.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ran poly diff and cradle bushings in my 01. Never had an issue. Honestly the main reason I have the FTBR kit in my 04 is because the PO included it with the car. I just had to install it.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Black2010

Established Member
Was planning on doing it over some VaCa days around Christmas using jack stands and floor jacks, is this doable? I do have access to a press if the sub-frame bushings are "movable" to a press.

Don't think you could get the bushings to a press for the sub frames as it's the whole frame.

It is very doable with jack stands and a floor jack. I'd suggest a friend help with the reinstall as it's tough to get things lined up just right to get it back in but doable alone if necessary.

For the bushings, I did the drill and torch bit as well and it was still a major PITA to get them out. Maybe I'm just unlucky but I easily spent half a day fighting those things and I used the tool from MM to get them out.

well worth it at the end of the day but just make sure you have a couple of days to get it done, just in case your fight you as well.

blownfox

Established Member
Maximum Motorsports has several IRS grip packages to choose from. Plus, they are running weekend special every weekend so they could be on sale on of these weekends. It sounds like you’re looking for their street package.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/IRS-Rear-Grip-Package-Street-1999-04-Cobra-P1345.aspx

I did the complete FTBR kit and really like. I cannot hear any additional road noise but my exhaust is pretty load. You can’t go wrong with either MM or FTBR. Both have great customer service. I had full MM suspension on my 93 cobra and never had an issue with it.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
My winter project is to replace the rear dif cover with a Ford Racing one I purchased a few months ago. Since I'll have to drop the IRS, I was kicking around replacing some or all of the bushings on the rear IRS, the car is pretty much stock, tire and suspension wise and during car show burnouts or hard acceleration it has had zero wheel hop issues.
1) What say you wizards? Should I upgrade the bushings, bolts, etc while down and apart or ???
2) Is there a "good" kit out there that's not a ton of $$$$, I know the F.T.B. is an awesome kit but, that's a lot of $$$ for something I drive 1500 miles or so a year, and taken to the 1/8 mile drag strip once a year for 4 runs or less with street tires on it.

If your going to go through the effort you might as well do the FTBR kit. There's no sense in going through hours of work to put in new bushings and then trying to save a couple bucks on it. You will find yourself using Bruce's videos anyways.

Although I'm biased: https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/thanks-ftbr.1141983/#post-15635373

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
<----From a guy who did an FTBR kit, and put like MAYBE, 150 miles on my Cobra, per month......it was worth the extra coin.
Was the FTBR kit needed? NO!

But with Bruces Kit you get the tools supplied to you to remove the bushings. Videos and a great support staff to field questions during your install.

ON A SUNDAY THEY ANSWERED MY QUESTION!!

I did the complete kit with the milled diff cover and upgraded diff brace. Added Toyo R888's with 27psi when playing in the street and the car would not break 1st gear (HARD roll into the throttle, I don't stab)

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
+1 Same here, did front and rear diff MM when I installed the FRP Cover. Skipped the subframe bushings.

I went with the Maximum Motorsports Polly bushings an have been very happy with them. I don't race the car and I put about the same number of miles on my car. The FTBR kit is awesome but that same as you I was looking more at just refreshing things than going all out.

Be prepared though. Changing the subframe bushings is a PITA. The diff bushings were pretty easy though.

hgarciajr

Hey guys. Old, pretty inactive member here. Trying to become more active. I bought my 03 with 30k. I've got 110k on it now and it's sat idle a lot in the past 4 years. At one time, it was my DD. Anyway, long story short, I've been taking it out more again and I guess while it sat there, the suspension got old and hard. Oxymoron I know haha. Anyway...I need some opinions and reading this thread helped. What can I do to refresh my suspension back to an OEM feel or bettar than OEM. My shocks aren't too old. I've done that. I stuck with the Bilstein HD. I tried the Tokico D-specs but I wasn't impressed. The Bilstein's just feel tougher. Even the diameter of the shocks themselves are much more girthier than other brands. But I digress, other than shocks, alignment, and replaced a cracked sway bar, nothing else has been done. Wheel hop just starting happening recently and potholes seem to have gotten deeper these days lol. Anyway, I appreciate any opinions and recommendations you guys might have....oh and almost forgot one last thing...I want to refresh my suspension before my interior starts to fall off! LMAO!

Users who are viewing this thread