Rear Bumper Styrofoam Shock Absorber?? Help!

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
My Cobra got rear ended recently and the Ford Dealership body shop had to replace the rear bumper cover and the styrofoam shock absorber that is between the bumper cover and the metal bumper. Can somebody tell me how the styrofoam shock absorbing buffer mounts to the metal rear bumper?? If you have a pic out of the shop manual that would be great. The reason I ask is because I looked under the car and the styrofoam absorber has duct tape wrapped around it and the metal bumper keeping it in place. I don't know about that.....

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
It doesn't bolt or clip to it, it just sits in between the two. They just put tape around it to hold it in place while installing the rear cover.
:beer:
Scott

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
It doesn't bolt or clip to it, it just sits in between the two. They just put tape around it to hold it in place while installing the rear cover.
Scott

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by VENOMOUS 10TH
Scott

Okay...that makes sense. But...my question now is...there is a 1 inch gap between the bumper cover and the energy absorber. If the tape wasn't there wouldn't the absorber just just rattle around? Does the energy absorber need to be in intimate contact with the cover so there is no gap between the two? Do me a favor and check yours out. The reason why I am concerned is because after I was hit I looked up under there and don't remember seeing any tape on the factory absorber. Thanks!

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
TTT...I guess what I'm asking is what will happen if I remove the nasty looking duct tape? Is the energy absorber going to flop around?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
here's an exploded view:

whacked.jpg

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
The foam absorber only covers the reinforcement brace and doesn't fill the entire bumper so there will probably be a slight gap in some areas towards the bottom but it is designed to cover the reinforcement brace and fit flush to the bumper at the middle part of the bumper, where most accident impacts will occur.
It is fine, now you can get some sleep!

Scott

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
The foam absorber only covers the reinforcement brace and doesn't fill the entire bumper so there will probably be a slight gap in some areas towards the bottom but it is designed to cover the reinforcement brace and fit flush to the bumper at the middle part of the bumper, where most accident impacts will occur.

Scott

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member

Scott

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member

Scott

Actually...it is not fine! I checked out some other '03 Cobras. The styrofoam energy absorber is adhesively bonded to the back of the steel bumper from the factory. Mine is only held on with duct tape. I'm taking it back to the body shop tomorrow. Over time the duct tape will fail and the absorber will bang around inside the bumper cover. The 1" gap between the cover and the absorber is consistent all the way around the absorber. The cover never comes into intimate contact with it.

This fit is unique to the Cobra and doesn't apply to the GT. The GT has a "recess" in the bumper cover at the bottom that fits into the recess in the absorber. The Cobra uses the same GT absorber but has a rounded bumper. The factory had to bond the absorber to the metal bumper because the bumper cover does not secure it in place on the Cobra.

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Oh so you are saying the absorber doesn't come in contact with the bumper at all! That is not good and I agree that u should take it back. It is one of two things,
1- They put the wrong absorber on or 2-The reinforcement brace is bent in and needs to be replaced
I would visually inspect the repair with the shop to see what is up.
My bad for the misunderstanding
and I hope all goes well. Keep me posted
Scott

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Oh so you are saying the absorber doesn't come in contact with the bumper at all! That is not good and I agree that u should take it back. It is one of two things,
1- They put the wrong absorber on or 2-The reinforcement brace is bent in and needs to be replaced
I would visually inspect the repair with the shop to see what is up.
My bad for the misunderstanding
and I hope all goes well. Keep me posted
Scott

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
1- They put the wrong absorber on or 2-The reinforcement brace is bent in and needs to be replaced.

None of the above. The cover is designed on the Cobra with a 1" space between it and the absorber. Take your finger and push on the cover...it deflects all around. This is normal. The only problem is that they used duct tape to secure the absorber to the steel bumper instead of adhesive when they repaired mine. I have already checked out other factory cobras and once again, all of the Cobra absorbers have a 1" gap and are adhesively bonded. The body shop has agreed to pull the cover and bond the absorber to the steel bumper tomorrow.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
check your estimate to see if they should have purchased a new reinforcement assembly. they could be billing your insurance company for things they're not providing. sounding like they're trying to repair what they got paid to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread