Rear bumper impact absorber

TERMINATORSAINT

Established Member
Hey everyone

The rear absorber foam that is behind the bumper cover is being held in place by what I think are 2 rivets.
- is that the case? Anyone removed that foam? My car has some rust in that area I want to rid of.

The front didn’t have anything holding it in, other than the 2 foam block pieces that fit into the frame / metal. The bumper had some serious play in it.

There was a forum question kinda covering this from 2004 I found, but nothing else. If this has been discussed can you send me the link.

Appreciate you all.

Matt

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, it's held in place by the rivets. The purpose of the foam, of course, is to absorb direct, slow speed impacts and provide a small crush zone in direct higher speed impacts. Very little is needed to hold it in place as long as it's in the right position before an impact. If it ss no longer connected with the original rivets, some just use duct tape, wire ties or double-sided tape. It out of sight, out of mind, so how you secure the foam is up to you.

TERMINATORSAINT

Established Member
Yes, it's held in place by the rivets. The purpose of the foam, of course, is to absorb direct, slow speed impacts and provide a small crush zone in direct higher speed impacts. Very little is needed to hold it in place as long as it's in the right position before an impact. If it ss no longer connected with the original rivets, some just use duct tape, wire ties or double-sided tape. It out of sight, out of mind, so how you secure the foam is up to you.
Alright thank you

Users who are viewing this thread