Rear Bumper fitment issue (sides)

Canson

Established Member
Hi guys,

I want to ask you if you have problem with your cars rear bumper as I have with my 2012 shelby gt500 rear bumper. The sides dont align perfect. It sticks out a little bit. I tried to remove those 3 screws and retight them but didnt made any difference.

Please check my pictures so you get an idea what I am talking about.

84c04d12deee80311cf9adf70f0d80b7.jpg

ac13cba8ab77b1ceffa799124806b449.jpg

b2a45c4d9d8aea46fcbcdb2eb8aaefc4.jpg

b8b77807e13502a738ce1c3747397a6f.jpg

Skickat från min D6633 via Tapatalk

Poisonous West

Established Member
Did you remove the rear bumper off from the car lately?

If that's the case the retention barbs oon both sides of the plastics pieces that attaches to the body are broken.

deepblue13

Established Member
Mine also does the same though not as noticeable and my bumper has never been removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canson

Established Member
Did you remove the rear bumper off from the car lately?

If that's the case the retention barbs oon both sides of the plastics pieces that attaches to the body are broken.
I have never removed my rear bumper. It has been like this since I bought my car 3 years ago. Dont know if it was removed before that.

Do you have any pictures on these retention barbs? Because I dont know what they are and how they look.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have had that issue, but it's the result of my tire hitting the mud flap. If your car is lowered, look at the mud flap (rock guard) and see if you see any evidence of tire contact. Mine had distinct wear marks. Ford's terminology for the retention barbs is side retainer under the rear bumper and components. It would be no. 15 in this diagram. There are right and left sides.

25342f7f5f41599826879f980d5fc0ac.png

Canson

Established Member
I have had that issue, but it's the result of my tire hitting the mud flap. If your car is lowered, look at the mud flap (rock guard) and see if you see any evidence of tire contact. Mine had distinct wear marks. Ford's terminology for the retention barbs is side retainer under the rear bumper and components. It would be no. 15 in this diagram. There are right and left sides.

25342f7f5f41599826879f980d5fc0ac.png
My car is lowered with Eibach Pro Springs and I dont see any wear marks.
If I remember correct it was like this before the car was lowered.

I drives me nuts when I have paid so much money fo this car and see issues like this :( Really just cant accept it, I must fix it in a way if its possible or is it just typically Ford quality?

gus1992

Established Member
I would see this a lot working at a Ford body shop. I'm trying to remember how I use to fix this. Been outta the body shop for a couple years. That side retainer (bumper bracket) tabs are weak. Also those car wash brushes that spins around catches the edges sometimes and causes more damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread