rear brakes

errray's 03 svt

Established Member
well i decided to change my rear brake pads today and everything went well until i tried compressing the calipers. why are they so hard to compress. does anyone have any idea how i can compress em all the way down. i put the e--brake down and even opened the bleeder. any ideas.

j card

Established Member
You need a tool that rotates the piston to get it to go back down - I had the same experience you did. NAPA carries the tool - but I'm sure others do too. It looks like a flat plate with teeth that go into the notches inthe piston - it has a 3/8 square hole to put a ratchet or extension into it.

j card

Established Member
200 Bucks? I think I got mine at NAPA for $20 or less. It's not like you need to use it every day for a living..... I'll use mine maybe once a year. I've purchased a lot of Snap On tools, but I'd go cheap on this one.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
The piston ratchets in place to roughly maintain the last "squeezed" position so the manual mechanical parking brake works (If it didn't do this, when you applied the parking brake it would shove the piston back into the caliper). This is common to all rear disc brake cars.

IMPORTANT NOTE for all that are inexperienced with rear discs: Make sure one of the notches on the piston face is lined up with the nub on the back of the bake pad. On a Cobra the notches should be at the 0 or 180 degree position when the caliper is viewed horozontally. :beer:

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Yes, you need a special tool to push AND turn the piston back in. The one I have is a little square piece of metal with different "nubs" on it for different cars. And I still had to modify it to work on 00 GT when I was changing the brakes.

You already did it, but make sure the bleeder valve is open so it is easier for the piston to turn back in.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
You already did it, but make sure the bleeder valve is open so it is easier for the piston to turn back in. [/B][/QUOTE]

This would work HOWEVER it makes a mess (unless you connect a handy-dandy hose and catch can to the bleeder).

ANOTHER HOT TIP: Half of the time if you use an old rusty "C" clamp the piston will rotate with the clamp pad as you compress it. If not try lightly tack welding the clamp pad so it is fixed as you turn it (for those of us unwilling to put the Snap-On mans kids through Harvard):read:

Last edited:

errray's 03 svt

Established Member
well i finally finished the rear brakes and went for a test ride. the brakes don't grab as hard. should i bleed em. the grab good if i pump em though. anyone know what i should do.

Users who are viewing this thread