Rear Brakes?

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
OK, sorry, I too have to post something that would likely be solved with a search, so thanks for putting up with this....

Why is it that our rear brakes put out so much more brake dust than the front? I assume that this problem is the same for everyone and isn't only happening on some cars, but :shrug:

I have notice it thae last couple of times I washed the car.

Thanks for any feedback.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Soft pads to make the rear brakes more effective. You could swap out to less dusty pads, but will probably give up stopping power. I'll take the dust if it stops fast.

Try ceramic pads if you dislike brake dust.

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
It's not a big deal, I was just wondering why.

So you are saying the pads on the rear are softer than those on the front? It has never been this way on any of the other cobras I have owned, that's why I was curious.

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
It may not be soft pads. I'd keep an eye on the rotors for excessive wear. The Ford Focus has been notorious for wearing out front rotors and pads within the first 20,000 to 30,000 miles. They also have serious front brake dust. Next time you're out, check those you see on the road. Many will have very dark front wheels. I changed the pads on mine at about 8000 miles and have circumvented the problem, I think.

I have noticed the rear brake dust on my '03 Cobra also. I will certainly be keeping an eye on the rotors for wear. That reminds me, I'm in the market for a micrometer...

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Yeah the 2003 pads on the rear produce more dust than the fronts.

It's the same on all of them, and totally the opposite of any other car I've owned. haha

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I don't have any data, but when everyone was going over this on the forums here, the consensus was the compound was softer.

When mine get replaced it won't be with stock pads anyway. :)

Users who are viewing this thread