Rear brakes sticking. Cause?

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
My rear brakes have been sticking to point of getting so hot they're smoking. I've replaced all the pads and lubed the pins making sure everything is moving freely. It started with the passenger side. Was good for a few weeks or so after all new pads. Now the driver side is doing the same thing. Ideas?

4a7191a

Established Member
Replaced both of mine. Rock auto had some nice painted ones I picked up for a good price. think powerstop was the brand.
Went ahead and changed out brake lines with some stainless ones. Figured might as well since I had to open the system up and bleed them out .

Dusten

Established Member
You can try new pistons and seals asking with a hone, but new calipers are cheap and easy

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
I had a similar problem with my fronts and it was the rubber brake lines. They dissolve on the inside and act like a one way valve that doesn't release pressure when you brake.

Not sure about the back but..... When they stick open up the bleeder valve. If it releases the caliper it is most likely the brake line.

Dusten

Established Member
I had a similar problem with my fronts and it was the rubber brake lines. They dissolve on the inside and act like a one way valve that doesn't release pressure when you brake.

Not sure about the back but..... When they stick open up the bleeder valve. If it releases the caliper it is most likely the brake line.
Rear caliper failures are becoming pretty common on the lightning. There's a ton of threads lately on it. As mileage creeps up people replace pads, compress the caliper and they seize

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread