Rear brakes: How to write-up

silvervenom

Established Member
Can you take off the rotors without messing with the parking brake? Looks like it.

I was actually worried about doing the rear brakes because I kept hearing that you needed to mess with the parking brake spring.

I need a how to on changing studs. I have one that is in really bad shape. Can you get the rotor off without messing with the parking brake and how do you get the studs in and out? is that something left to a mechanic who has the proper tools?

I just did my own studs and it was a nightmare take it to a shop and let them do it. It took me a breakover bar, huge pipe to put over the handle for leverage, hardened washer and two sockets(broke one) and four open ended lug nuts to pull all the studs in I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS EVER AGAIN its a nightmare

Last edited:

2004 Culebra

Established Member
Didn't have any trouble putting the ebrake cable back through the mounting holes, replacing the c clip or reattaching the spring perch bolt.
It was a piece of cake.

I have been fighting this spring and do not have a clue as to what the best method would be to reinstalling it... Any suggestions???

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I have been fighting this spring and do not have a clue as to what the best method would be to reinstalling it... Any suggestions???

You'll have to fight it back in. I saw the write up that you posted in, and that was totally wrong. I have no clue how someone could imagine that he's doing anyone a favor when all he did was create a HUGE hassle for everyone with his instructions.

Anyways, my write-up avoids all the hassle that you had to deal with from that other "write-up".

Please keep this thread bumped to help others.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I made a mistake and removed the brake cable and spring so I could put the caliper in a vise. Big mistake. The only way I could get the damn spring back in was to put it in a bench vise and tighten it down. Then while it was compressed, I used two zip tie to keep it compressed while installing it in the caliper. Once the spring was in the right spot, I cut the zip ties. I'll never remove that spring again.

408bluedog

Established Member
Rear brakes on my 03 cobra were a HUGE PITA!! I ordered new red stuff pads and slotted rotors from EBC. Taking everything apart was a cinch. But having to pry off the old pad shims to re-use on my new pads because they didn't have the shims, just the adhesive sticky pad to install them, was a pain. THEN keeping the damn shims in place wile putting the caliper back on was a nightmare. The shims kept moving and the caliper does not just slide back on haha. Everything turned out great but I'm not looking forward to a rear brake job again. Thanks for the write up it did help a lot but I was lost on the shim installation and I'm not quite sure I even did it the right way but they are in and not going anywhere so I guess im ok.

Back-N-Black

Established Member
I had problems with the rears too. First off my car only has 15,000 miles on it and sat in the garage it's whole life but took a lot of PB Blaster and even had to soak it oernight to get the rotors off the hub.

Turning those damn pistons in were about the very hardest thing I've ever done. I had gotten the correct tool but they needed like an unbelievable amount of pressure to turn in. I am not a small guy! On one side I screwed the caliper back on the hub so I didn't have to hold it while turning in the piston. Are these things supposed to be this hard to rotate?

One thing that I want to tell people, which I did not remember from doing rear brakes in the past and I don't remember reading here. There is a nobbie on the plate, on the back of the pad. You must align the slot in the piston so the nobbie is in the slot. I forgot and was spinning the piston in farther than I needed to to fit the caliper with the pads back over the rotor.

charlenemathews

I had problems with the rears too. First off my car only has 15,000 miles on it and sat in the garage it's whole life but took a lot of PB Blaster and even had to soak it oernight to get the rotors off the hub.

Turning those damn pistons in were about the very hardest thing I've ever done. I had gotten the correct tool but they needed like an unbelievable amount of pressure to turn in. I am not a small guy! On one side I screwed the caliper back on the hub so I didn't have to hold it while turning in the piston. Are these things supposed to be this hard to rotate?

One thing that I want to tell people, which I did not remember from doing rear brakes in the past and I don't remember reading here. There is a nobbie on the plate, on the back of the pad. You must align the slot in the piston so the nobbie is in the slot. I forgot and was spinning the piston in farther than I needed to to fit the caliper with the pads back over the rotor.

I also got into this trouble a week ago. Good thing I searched for the web and I've found out the tutorial in this thread. It was indeed a very helpful one. I also tried to find piston kits on JC whitney and other auto parts store. It's never a hassle to shop online and becomes a necessity when you urgently need your car.

Now I know what to do when I get into this trouble again. Thanks for a good right up 006! :rockon::rockon:

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Glad I checked out the how to before I started this job. Didn't realize you need a special tool for the piston. Thanks 006 for the write up and ac427cobra for the video.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread