Rear brake nightmare!

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
So Ive swapped the IRS from a 99 Cobra into my car, and at first it had a ton of bugs but today I have sorted most of them out, but right now I have one last, and VERY large problem to work out. When we reinstalled my rear brakes (My calipers but used the pads and rotors from the 99) we had a hell of a time, but after a ton of hassle, I foolishly left the anti rattle clips off of the pads. Now when the car is in motion at ANY speed, there is a clicking from the left rear, it may also be coming from the right too but all I can tell is the left. It increases in speed and volume just as the car does. The faster I go the faster it clicks. BUT, the instant I set my foot on the pedal, or pull the ebrake up just one click, the noise immediately goes away. Is this because of the anti rattle clips? If so is there anyway I can get JUST the clips?

Thank you for any and all help for this IRS newb.

Last edited:

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I've heard about this and if I remember correctly you can get the caliper kit from NAPA and the guy said it helped. If not I'd try a ford dealership.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Well gee thanks ken but Im not a tard, pretty sure I said I knew it was my mistake that caused this. Does your write up tell me where to get anti rattle clips?

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Another vote for the Ford dealer & napa. Maybe try a Mustang parts house too like 50resto or the like. They seem to have little, individual, hard to find parts sometimes. Good luck.

EDIT: Just looked over at rockauto.com and they have a few different choices for rear caliper hardware kits. Looks like that'll do it for ya. Curious why you used the 99 pads/rotors though? They should be the same as your 98 stuff, correct me if I'm wrong. Were they just in better shape, so you decided to use them instead?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1304479,parttype,1736

Last edited:

Cobra925

MAXIMAL SVT POSTER
Established Member
I bought mine at Napa and they were like 10 bucks. I forgot to replace those before and had the same problem. Don't feel too bad your definetly the only one.

01 Venom

Established Member
I have done that before, like these guys said, I picked them up at my local parts store. No big deal

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
SublimeRT said:
Another vote for the Ford dealer & napa. Maybe try a Mustang parts house too like 50resto or the like. They seem to have little, individual, hard to find parts sometimes. Good luck.

EDIT: Just looked over at rockauto.com and they have a few different choices for rear caliper hardware kits. Looks like that'll do it for ya. Curious why you used the 99 pads/rotors though? They should be the same as your 98 stuff, correct me if I'm wrong. Were they just in better shape, so you decided to use them instead?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1304479,parttype,1736

From what I was led to believe, the rotors are thicker on the 99 and up cars, so the pads are made slightly different. :shrug: As of right now I have 99 pads in 98 calipers. Hopefully the clips I got will work.

Users who are viewing this thread