Rear Brake Issues

Sny714

Established Member
Hey guys. Havent posted in a long time. I found myself losing interest in the car the last year and havent really modded or driven it much. Sorry for the long post but here we go....

When I bought the car I never felt like the brakes really performed the way I thought they would. The car received brand new pads and rotors at 38k miles when I purchased her because she needed them. About 2 years ago around 55k miles the right rear wear indicator started making noise. So the right rear pads wore out faster than any other pad on the car. Knowing the fronts should go before the rears I assumed and was told it was a sticking caliper and replaced it. About 6 months after that I replaced the all the rotors and pads again bc the car does sit a lot and I got them on sale. Now recently in June the right rear wheel was covered in brake dust again during an hour ride home from my friends wedding. Since I didnt want to physically do the brakes on my car again I took it to a trusted meineke near my house and they believe its the rubber hose collapsing and not letting the caliper release. Has this happened to anyone else. The right rear rubber brake line is actually backordered at 2 online mustang sites that were reasonably priced compared to others. Mustangsunlimited.com and cjponyparts.com. I would upgrade to stainless for the fronts and rears but I want my problem fixed. Not sure if its actually the hose.

Cliffs....
At 38k miles car received new rotors and pads.
Around 55k miles right rear pads wore out and RR caliper was replaced
Around 60k miles new pads and rotors
Now at 62k miles right rear pads are wore out again
Brake shop told me rubber hose is more than likely collasped and not letting the caliper release.

I barely drive the car. Bought in 07 with 38k miles and now it has 62k miles. I dont want to upgrade my brake lines if the problem isnt solved. Any ideas?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I've never heard of that but I guess its plausible. I would check and make sure the parking brake isn't sticking on that side.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
The rubber line can tear creating a check valve like scenario which won't let the caliper release. It happens occasionally.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
+1 on the brake line tearing on the inside. BTW, both my cobra and trailblazer rear brakes wear out faster than the rears - go figure.

If you can't get the normal brake lines, why not replace them with stainless? Might have better availability and probably not that much more.

Good luck.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Have you checked/replaced the slide pins? If they are sticking it will do what you are experiencing, and is fairly common.

Sny714

Established Member
I've never heard of that but I guess its plausible. I would check and make sure the parking brake isn't sticking on that side.

I didnt think about that. Thats a good point.

+1 on the brake line tearing on the inside.

If you can't get the normal brake lines, why not replace them with stainless? Might have better availability and probably not that much more.

I have no problem buying Stainless brake lines but I didnt want to spend $150-$200 and still not have my problem fixed. My main concern was getting the problem fixed before updating the brake lines. If the rubber hose is the problem then I will probably end up buying SS lines.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I've never heard about a collapsed brake line. I'm thinking that if the brake line was collapsed, the brake fluid from the caliper would refill the line? Also, if you have a collapsed brake line, wouldn't it take a lot of pedal travel to first fill the line and then push on the piston? How does your brake pedal feel?

I understand the rubber liner tearing and making a check valve, but doesn't that happen w/really old cars, not an 11 yr old car? I guess it can happen.

I agree w/the recommendations to check the parking brake cable tension and the slide pins. If you have one of the tools to screw in the rear pistons, I also recommend taking the caliper off and screwing the piston in a couple of turns to see how freely it moves. Hopefully someone didn't use a C-clamp on the rear calipers in the past. Also, when you put the new pads on the rear, did you clock the pistons to align w/the pins?

Sny714

Established Member
Ok I didnt have much time today because I thought it was going to rain. I lifted the rear and pulled both wheels off. When I put the car in 1st gear the right rotor didnt spin at all. It was trying to but couldnt. Even when giving it gas It didnt spin. So the right caliper is locked pretty good. One thing that threw me off was when the car was in 1st gear and i lifted up the ebrake that was when the right rotor would break free and slowly spin the same speed as the left rotor. So I do realize the ebrake would have to be adjusted but why would applying the ebrake let the rotor break free and start to spin? My friend was thinking its not the brake lines and maybe the caliper again. I didnt have time to pull the caliper and check the piston because it looked like it was about to rain.

Sny714

Established Member
I will be checking out the caliper and slide pins on thursday on my day off as long as it doesnt rain. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread