rear brake dragging

fiveoguy

Established Member
I've been having a problem with my rear drivers side brake dragging for some time now. The outside pad was worn out after about 7000 miles. It had started squeaking a lot (without brakes applied) and dusting a lot, so I pulled it apart and found the pad almost gone. The entire brake assembly had also been getting pretty hot on that side, without any heavy braking. I replaced the rear pads, bled the brakes, made sure parking brake was adjusted correctly (seems to be anyway), checked the floater pins, and everything looked to be in perfect working order. Put it back together and everything seemed to be fine for a few hundred miles. Well, now that the new pads have bedded in good, the dragging is back. Its not enough to actually slow me down, but the squealing and extra heat are not good, not to mention wearing out the pads.

I'm getting ready to take it to the dealer (50 mile drive) but I'm just afraid they are going to go through the same thing as me and call it fixed, only to have it come back again shortly. Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any suggestions of what I may have missed? I would much rather fix this myself than have to deal with the hassle of taking it to the dealer, but I can't think of anything else that could be wrong.

Last edited:

03snakerush

Established Member
re:brakes

Hey 5.0- It almost sounds like the rear caliper isn't releasing properly after parking brake release. I'm sure you have it adjusted properly as far as handle heigth and grab force. Just my two cents. We have had problems with our crap Volvos doing something similar to this at the dealership I work at. Only fix Volvo warranty allows is caliper replacement and brake system bleed. I'd take your baby to a Ford dealer you trust and ask to have it looked at on a waiter status. I always try to hang around when I have my warranty issues dealt with at Ford. Good luck!:beer:

03snakerush

Established Member
wassup??

Hey 5.0- Just wondered if your brake problem ever got resolved. Post a resolution or an update if possible. Just curious what happened..:??:

03DOHC

Established Member
I think I remember reading something Joe Lynch wrote about your rear brakes dragging. Something is broken in the back from your halfshafts breaking I think. Have you had half shaft problems? I'll see if I can find it.

03DOHC

Established Member
Maybe the slide pin is stuck? Your calipers slide on these and they get jammed somethimes.

fiveoguy

Established Member
03snakerush - Taking the car to the dealership at the end of the week, will let you know what they do.

Checked the floater pins and they are fine, I'm thinking its got to be the piston getting stuck.

fiveoguy

Established Member
problem ended up being a bent wheel hub, which was causing the rotor to wobble, which was causing one of the pads to rub. apparently it was like this from the factory, or was a defective wheel hub. odd thing is that there was no noticeable vibration and the tire has been wearing just fine. dealer is replacing the hub under warranty.

03snakerush

Established Member
Interesting, especially since like you said there was no vibe felt or at least some kind of off and on lurching when the brakes would be applied. Well, as long as it's fixed and you stop wearing out rear brakes, all cool right?:beer:

KDog

Established Member
Thanks for this post. I posted a message this week about me having a similar problem. I've had the car for a week, and now it squeaks from the driver's side rear. Same symptoms it sounds like - squeak, excessive brake dust. This should give me something to suggest to the dealer when I take it.

Users who are viewing this thread