Rear axle noise.....

KILRSVT

Established Member
Got a loud bearing noise from the rear end have guys ever dealt with this I've never done any rear axle work is it a pain??? I'll be doing the rear axles and the bearings

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Is this a 300A car? it could have the soft axles problem and never had the TSB performed...

The 300A's had a problem with the axle shafts not being manufactured correctly and over times the bearings would eat away at the axle shafts. I see in your sig its listed as an 03 so this might be the problem.

If your diff is leaking, it could be low on fluid... My friends 00 explorer was low on diff fluid and it was making noise, changed the fluid and added a full 2 quarts and it was good to go

KILRSVT

Established Member
It's really loud ..... Not low on fluid no leaks present at the time .... Coming from the left side

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
sounds like bad axle bearing, and probably lead to bad axle shaft as well....

Nows the time for a 31 spline CVPI axle swap and a carbon clutchpack limited slip diff!

KILRSVT

Established Member
my merc has 197k on it I let my dad drive the car for a couple of months and he said that he had a shop do all the rear end bearings for $300...probably got a bent axle??can hear the noise from both sides but more so on the left at this point that the rear bearing have all ready been done I wonder if a gear shop should take a look at it....I dont wanna do all that work just to find out I got a bad carrier

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
my merc has 197k on it I let my dad drive the car for a couple of months and he said that he had a shop do all the rear end bearings for $300...probably got a bent axle??can hear the noise from both sides but more so on the left at this point that the rear bearing have all ready been done I wonder if a gear shop should take a look at it....I dont wanna do all that work just to find out I got a bad carrier

if you went 31 splines the only thing you'd be keeping is the axle housing... and the gears if you wanted to, but now would be an even better time for 4.10's! :rockon:

1986-12 Mustang 8.8" 31 Spline Traction-Lok Differential with Carbon Fiber Clutch Disks, M-4204-F318c at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

If there was any scoring on the axle or any metal shavings around and they didn't get flushed out, it could have toasted the bearings again...

Make sure when you get the rear end rebuilt you go with good bearings... Timken, Koyo and NTN are really the only 3 you should be going with. From the factory they come with Timken and Koyo's, I think NTN's were put in somewhere when I did my gear swap, and I ordered all ford racing stuff so obviously ford is fine with using it. ;-)

KILRSVT

Established Member
So the rear end noise turned out to be pinion bearing upon taking it to the gear shop we discovered a broken and missing tooth on ring gear right axle pitted were bearing was pressed on and clutch packs were desinagrated. In other words my rear axle was ****ed ! My total cost of repairs was 1,044.95 parts and labor. It hurt my pockets but I'm glad I got it back on the road and once again it's a pleasure to drive

Users who are viewing this thread