Rear Axle Help

ShiftinGT

Established Member
I own a 2000 Mustang Gt. The car has 3.73 gears in it that were either installed by a shop or the previous owner. I have always heard what sounds like gear whine or a bad wheel bearing. Only owned the car for 4 months. Fast forward till today while my dad and I were doing some car work I noticed a huge amount of brake dust on my rear passenger rim. Looked a little closer and the rotor is completely like gone and my brakes look like there is none left. There is a layer of metal shavings along the inner side of my rim which is probably from the brakes/Rotor. I already have new Ford racing bearings I had bought to do this job. My question now is do you think the axle is probably useless now? And any tips for the job?

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
do a brake job first and see if it still makes the noise afterwards. if so it will be axle bearing and rear end rebuild time

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Yeah that's what I am in the process of doing because a lot of other people said the caliper could have froze up. Well I was out there working on it and the outer part of the rotor is completely gone but the part on the inside is like completely new, no grooves at all. What would cause that?

spike_africa

Established Member
If the caliper was frozen how would that effect the axle. Replace the caliper, pads on both rear sides, and do new rotors both sides, and fluids. You will be fine.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
So been busy all week and the bolts that hold the caliper bracket on were a pita but i just got them off and took a quick video and wondered if this is a sign of a bad wheel bearing. It moves back and forth and makes a noise when you turn it.
[video=youtube;qpPoKbg4PD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPoKbg4PD0[/video]

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
The video looks extremely blurry, but did you move the entire hub in and out? Usually a bad wheel bearing will cause the hub the rattle back and fourth pretty badly, but that looks a lot more severe. You may have a bad wheel bearing as well, but I feel like there is more to the problem.

I agree and think it's going to be rear end rebuilding time.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Yes I was moving the entire hub in and out. Someone it should have a little play due to the c clips but who knows, i'm not a professional by any means. .I got the rear cover off and everything in there looks good, no chips or broken off teeth, about to remove the locking pin. Then I will be able to inspect the axle and bearing, the bearing will be replaced regardless but want to see how the axle looks. Do you know how many quarts and what kind of gear oil I put back in there? And how much and what kind of friction modifier?

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Yes I was moving the entire hub in and out. Someone it should have a little play due to the c clips but who knows, i'm not a professional by any means. .I got the rear cover off and everything in there looks good, no chips or broken off teeth, about to remove the locking pin. Then I will be able to inspect the axle and bearing, the bearing will be replaced regardless but want to see how the axle looks. Do you know how many quarts and what kind of gear oil I put back in there? And how much and what kind of friction modifier?

2 quarts of royal purple 75w90 and be done. It already has a friction modifier in it. A little pricey but well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread