Rear axle ? and advise

ivandrea

Established Member
I have been pondering a gear change. I currently have the stock 3.31 in my 2008 vert. I have all suspension mods done. VMP TVS and other HP goodies. 1 piece shaft, etc. Will be running Toyo R888's 315/30-20's in the rear. I was thinking for the money there is the FRPP rear assembly w/3.73 and some other upgrades for about $1250ish to my door.(Ford Racing Performance Parts) I mainly play around on the street and just cruise to shows, once and a while will hit the 1/4 mile. Is this a good value, is there another unit competiatively priced that I should consider? Factor in that I will try to sell off my stock unit that has 10,xxx miles and no issues.
Thanks,
Ivan

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
IMO just get the gears swapped, ~ $450-500 for the entire job - parts & labor

no need to swap the whole assembly

edit - maybe you get $500-600 for yours - then its a $150-200 difference out of pocket - assuming you are doing the axle swap yourself

Last edited:

cluscher

Established Member
If you don't like gear whine and want to have the best chance at avoiding it then I would get the axle assembly. If you do buy a gear set I recommend getting an OEM set. They're more expensive, but they are different than the FRPP gears, although it appears FRPP may have recently changed their gears?? I haven't heard anyone comment on the new FRPP gears. I bought an OEM take out set of 3.73s in great shape off EBAY for $85 from a guy in FL who appears to have a small business doing this. He is legit.

I personally have attempted to have multiple sets of gears installed by multiple installers and they have all whined. My suspension definitely accentuates the noise transfer (Griggs torque arm and LCAs), but they have all whined nonetheless. Many will say a correct install will not whine. I'm not saying I disagree, but that has not been my experience with multiple installs done by a couple reputable shops. FWIW, I wish I would have gone with the axle assembly from the outset. Also, if you swap the gear set make sure you have the correct pinion bearing. Buy it from Tousley and don't let any installer make the decision as to which bearing goes in there. Also, be sure to have the installer re-use the stock pinion shim to ensure accurate depth, and have them set the backlash tight. Good luck.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Whine is louder with poly bushings.... If your on stock rubber bushings it won't be as loud...

I've had 4 gear changes and they all whine, even my stock gears whined..

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
If you can do the whole axle assembly and you know its what you want then go for it. I was lucky and a friend sold me his ( changed his mind about his set up). Luckily people wanted the one that came out of my car since it was the 3:55 set up. Can't say the difference from 3:31 to 3:55 but it was noticeable from 3:55 to 3:73.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Go with the gears, Strange spool, and Mosser axles then call it a day. If u like to go out and play at the local track you'll eventually get noise regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread