Really necessary to disconnect driveshaft?

HIGDON

Keeping The Red In
Established Member
I know it says you are supposed to disconnect the DS, but if the vehicle is put in neutral and secured to where it can't go in gear is really that big of a deal?? I mean it won't rack up miles because the car isn't on and it will just freespin everything else... Just wondering if anyone has any reason that this is bad for the car. My car is finally heading in for some welding work on the torque boxes, subframes, and they are going to begin instaling an 8 point bar. I wish I was there to see it all go together. My uncle and dad test fit the 5.4 the other day and they said it's gonna look awesome with a carb on it. I can't wait to get home and play! (I also can't believe I'm letting them have all this fun with my car, lol)

FYI- this is just a curious question, there's not motor or tranny in the car right now, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

VettTheRipper

Big Honkin' Diesel
Established Member
From my understanding, disconnecting the DS is only necessary on cars with certain types of auto trannies since the transmission actually pumps oil around the unit. Manual transmission cars use the splash system and therefore will not have lubrication problems from free spinning.

Of course I could be completely wrong but it's more likely that I'm only mistaken :-D

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
I think you need to take it out. Even with a manual tranny when the car's not in gear the input shaft spins but nothing else. With the drive shaft in place it turns most of the internals but doesn't get proper lubrication.

You really have to ask yourself; is it really wort the risk? If you pull the drive shaft and we're wrong all you need is 5 minutes and some tranny fluid.

If we're right and you leave the D/S in what's the worst that can happen? You'd need a new tranny, that's what.

Good luck bro,
Alan

NXSVTCOBRA

UHAUL told me that a while back when i rented a tow-dolly to pick-up my notchback (it was a 4cyl automatic back then)..... so i did it, i figured better safe then sorry, and its only 4 bolts :thumbsup:

mustangbrad

Established Member
I would definately do it. It is just 4 nuts that hold the 2 U bolts in place, piece of cake to remove, you will lose some tranny fluid. It might not be a bad idea to replace the rear tranny seal while the drive shaft is out.

Users who are viewing this thread