really high idle

sweetcobra1

Established Member
so this weekeng i finally got around to painting the cobra. As i go to pull the car in the booth it starts up and idles just fine, but after were done painting and i start the car to pull it out it's idling at 2000. its been doing it since sunday and it will eventually lower as the car warms up. i should also mention when i was doing my body work i moved the filler neck ang i guess i caused a decent size evap leak. i dont know if that would cause anything like that.

what do u think it is? any input would be greatly appreciated b/c this is annoying

thanks

sweetcobra1

Established Member
yeah thats what i was thinkin, and i had a CEL for a tps. so last night went to autozone and replaced them both. now after a minute the car will go down to abot 1500, so i think it helped a little. I dont have work tomorro so i think ill take it to a shop & have them do a smoke test and get the evap leak fixed. then im out of ideas

po-po 5.0

Established Member
A smoke test might not help. Your evap leak is probably near the gas tank, and they normally do the smoke test under hood only.

sweetcobra1

Established Member
well i guess ill drop the tank tomorrow and see if i can find the leak and fix it. the wierd thing is, was that my car had the evap lk before it started idling that high. is there any thing else that would cause something like that, that im not thinking of.

sweetcobra1

Established Member
so yeasterday i dropped the tank, replaced the neck to tank gasket where it was lking. So now at least now my car doesnt smell like gas and im throwing money out my gas tank. SO now i have no idea what could be causing it to idle so high. is there a way to adjust the idle or fix whatever the hell is causing the idle to be like this.

any suggestions please

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
so yeasterday i dropped the tank, replaced the neck to tank gasket where it was lking. So now at least now my car doesnt smell like gas and im throwing money out my gas tank. SO now i have no idea what could be causing it to idle so high. is there a way to adjust the idle or fix whatever the hell is causing the idle to be like this.

any suggestions please

:lol:

You ignored my post and want selective suggestions only?

Do a search for IAC on the boards.

sweetcobra1

Established Member
well i did all kinds of searching came up with small things to help fix it but like i said i went to autozone and replaced the tps and iac( dont worry i didnt ignore u ) but it didnt fix it the only other thing that it looks like it could be is a restrictor plate for the iac but why would it all of sudden just start out of the blue i just got it painted, then this. ive only had it for about 3 months i just want it fixed and haulin ass because there's not many cobra's around here and everyone wants a piece but i want it at its prime

01yellercobra

Established Member
Maybe it's really excited about the new paint job.:shrug:

The only other thing I can think of is if the throttle cable is hanging up somewhere and not letting the TB close all the way.

Established Member
Hmm.. your bad grammar and reference did not properly address that you had tried the IAC already, but after reading what you wrote over and over a few times, I see that what you mean't to say. (disregard my earlier post)

The car should idle high for about 15-20 seconds when it's first started up due to the open look cycle which acts like a "choke" feature that was found on older motors. This is a feature that dumps more fuel into the motor and is supposed to warm up the motor before you drive the car.

Is this what you're talking about? If so, then it's normal. :whoknows:

If not, then please explain how long this high idle lasts.

Last edited:

sweetcobra1

Established Member
yeah what can i say sometimes i think faster than i can type, so i comes out as jibberish somtimes. ill work on it but as of right know ive replaced tps & IAC & fixed the evap leak i had.I dissconnected the battery all night (for the computer to try and reset itself ) and let it idle for a while and nothing. what exactly happens is on start up it'll sit at 2000 , then after letting it idle she'll drop to about 1500 but thats the lowest it gets no matter how long i let it sit. when im drivin and put in nuetral it'll rev up to 2000 then once ill come to a stop it'll drop to about 1500 , which i know hangin at 1000 then drop to 750 when i stop is normal but this isnt normal hopefully that helps b/c im about lost

Last edited:

matted2thefloor

Established Member
The throttle cable isn't bound/kinked is it? If not, then, I would have to assume there is a vacuum leak somewhere to be idling that high.

Do the old carburetor spray method to see if there is a vacuum leak. With the motor running shoot the spray at various vacuum locations, if the RPMs change drastically...leak found!

sweetcobra1

Established Member
i didnt do an actual voltage check on the sensor yet, but im off work in an hour so ill find out what the volts are and check for a vac leak. then ill inform of the diag
thanks for the help

sweetcobra1

Established Member
well, not a vaccum leak and the tps was fine. so i took the iac gasket and rotated it to restrict the flow.the rpm's will get a little lower but still didnt fix the problem. can that effect performance or is it in my head?

Established Member
Does the car have a tune?

Did you mess with or replace ANYTHING that is in the MAF area or perhaps any wiring/harnesses?

Users who are viewing this thread