Realistically, how much does wheel weight affect performance?

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
i wanna go weigh my wheels now, i knew it made a difference but didint know it was that 10-1 ratio

Common

Established Member
I recently saw a black Z4M coupe with Volk TE37 Time Attack wheels (black with red lip) and it looked so badass. I'd recommend those because they are light as hell and look good too.

Great wheel, couldnt find it for our mustangs though.....

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Put on a big ole pair of cold weather hunting boot an run around. Then put on some track shoes and see if there is a difference.

The same goes for a car. Not all the same physical forces going on, but you get my point.

Last edited:

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Got it dead right. Not only are they one of the worst places to have weight, the faster they spin, the more they affect the handling, and effectively, the more they weigh. And it is not linear, it is exponential. Add in gyroscopic forces, precession, and sometimes I wonder how in the hell five bolts are enough to hold the things on.

Guess what else? You know why you don't see ultra-low profile tires on racers? Because the metal weighs more than the rubber, in most cases, putting more weight and more kinetic energy and precessive forces right where you absolutely most do not want it.

Jim Snover

Mr. Snover has spoken, so the thread is now closed. :lol: Just kidding, but hey Jim that's a good explanation!

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I recently saw a black Z4M coupe with Volk TE37 Time Attack wheels (black with red lip) and it looked so badass. I'd recommend those because they are light as hell and look good too.

I like Volks but don't want black on black. I'm thinking maybe HRE but the waiting time will kill me. :sleeping:

jfsram

Established Member
Another thing to consider. The extra wheel mass from "big" rims is usually from the outer edge of the rim. That same weight near the center will not have as much effect on rotational weight. For example a heavier axle will not be a hard to change rpm is a heavier tire.

As for mileage. The weight difference is minimal. What will kill you here is the extra width.

Users who are viewing this thread