Realism

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
Take a minute and watch this video. It's really pretty awesome.
[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7dc_1288036287]LiveLeak.com - The darker side of positive thinking[/ame]

Many people call me a pessimist. I've always called myself a realist. People hate bad news though. So when you give them the bad news, they label you a pessimist. For example, friends will tell me about ideas they have for a new businesses. When I crunch the numbers (startup costs, fixed costs, variable costs, margin levels, etc) and tell them the idea is a loser they just peg me as being a negative person. I try to explain I'm not being a pessimist I'm being a realist but they never get it.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I was hoping this would be some heady psychedelic video. Not so much.

Sammyboy

Established Member
Take a minute and watch this video. It's really pretty awesome.
LiveLeak.com - The darker side of positive thinking

Many people call me a pessimist. I've always called myself a realist. People hate bad news though. So when you give them the bad news, they label you a pessimist. For example, friends will tell me about ideas they have for a new businesses. When I crunch the numbers (startup costs, fixed costs, variable costs, margin levels, etc) and tell them the idea is a loser they just peg me as being a negative person. I try to explain I'm not being a pessimist I'm being a realist but they never get it.

There are variations/sub-groups of realism. Be aware of your affiliation concerning your friends "new businesses," as you might find yourself pushing them toward failure. While justifying your voluntary number crunching with "realistic" admiration, understand that you are in fact developing a unbalanced opinion. In the simplest terms, you check them because you don't think they will succeed, thus the biased opinion. I'm not advocating complete ignorance, because I don't know exactly what "business planning" your friends have. With all respect, they could be awful ideas. I guess what I'm saying is keep an open mind, above any number crunching, because terrible ideas sometimes work. Look at the pet rock for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread