real world spec 3 vs spec 3+

Dirty B

Established Member
i cant find any solid info on what the real world difference different between stage 3 and stage 3+ is. 3+ is supposed to hold more power with driveability of 3. I am going to be making around 600whp with an 03 KB cobra and from what i have seen stage 3 should be able to handle it. I know the 3+ is a popular favorite on the fourms but whats the main reason why? the stage 3 is alot cheaper and is rated to hold the kind of power I am going to make. Any reason for the extra money when the "cheaper" one is rated my power levels? thanks

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The Spec 3 disc is a "puck" style clutch which is configured in a star pattern similiar to the Centerforce DFX style. The Spec 3+ is a true circular disc that will give you consistent contact points around the entire diameter of the pressure plate and flywheel. There is also a difference in the material used for the disc pad itself and I can't tell you exactly what it is, but the 3+ disc material is reported to have better capablity to handle high horsepower applications.

Despite the horsepower ratings, the Spec 3+ consistently is a more durable clutch and about 99% of the folks on here will recommend it for a 600 RWHP Kenne Bell apllication. It's worth the extra money. Not many people would recommend the Spec 3 at that horsepower level, especialy if you're going to be hitting the track.

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
The Spec 3 disc is a "puck" style clutch which is configured in a star pattern similiar to the Centerforce DFX style. The Spec 3+ is a true circular disc that will give you consistent contact points around the entire diameter of the pressure plate and flywheel. There is also a difference in the material used for the disc pad itself and I can't tell you exactly what it is, but the 3+ disc material is reported to have better capablity to handle high horsepower applications.

Despite the horsepower ratings, the Spec 3+ consistently is a more durable clutch and about 99% of the folks on here will recommend it for a 600 RWHP Kenne Bell apllication. It's worth the extra money. Not many people would recommend the Spec 3 at that horsepower level, especialy if you're going to be hitting the track.

Well put. Everything he just said.....

I've had a 3+ in my car for a while now and I'm sitting at 600/600 to the wheels. Clutch hasn't hesitated even once. Overall a really good clutch. I actually had the SPEC 3 in it before that and I noticed that the 3+ seems to be just a little bit smoother overall... FWIW...

alex46stang

Established Member
I would not purchase the spec 3, its a great clutch but you should definetly spend the extra money on the spec 3+. I had 590 rwhp and the 3 held up fine, it drove great, but only lasted for a year, with no track passes. I am currently running a ram twin disk, I was only considering the spec 3+, or a twin disk setup.

Dirty B

Established Member

great info, thanks a ton!!! thanks to all the other posters too

Users who are viewing this thread