Real world comparison Kooks lt's vs ARH's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I figured I'd make an in depth thread about this while it's all still fresh in my mind. I just put a set of Kooks 1 3/4 3" longtubes on my car over the winter months. And just a few days ago I put a set of ARH 1 3/4 3" longtubes on a customers car at work.

Kooks:
-moderately tough to get to all head flange bolts. Some harder than others, but none super hard.
-2 piece slip fit primarys, goes around steering shaft which can make it somewhat challenging and opens another possible spot for leaks.
-dipstick does not need to be removed for kooks install
-clearances are VERY tight. One primary rubbed my stock K member. While I've heard others say they clear fine. Seems to be hit or miss on this.
-The primary routing makes it basically impossible to get motor mounts on/off with headers installed
-Midpipe fits easy, however it pushes the catback to the rear 1-2". Heard this is fine on an irs car but my car(sra) it made everything very tight and a pain to fit.
-Midpipe to header connection is ball and socket. Better design for easy of install/removal in my opinion.

ARH's:
-Very hard getting flange head bolts. Not impossible by any means but significantly more challenging than the kooks.
-1 piece primary's, steering shaft goes on outside of primarys and has roughly 1" of room, clearance for days.
-overall clearances are very good. Much better than the Kooks. atleast 1/2" everywhere.
-dipstick DOES need to be removed to install, then ran thru the primary tubes to get back in
-motor mounts still easily removed/installed if needed to change them later. Also helps getting to the flange bolts with them out.
-Midpipe also fits very easily. But just like the kooks, it pushed the catback back atleast an inch. Not sure why it's so hard for a header company to make midpipes at stock locations.
-header to midpipe is a slip fit. Easy to install but can be very hard to remove if clamps are every over torqued or left on for years at a time.

Overall opinions: Both are super high quality and great pieces. My personal preference I'd always suggest the ARH's. I'm not a fan of the slip fit primarys and the clearances are tight. Negatives being that install itself is harder(getting to bolts and dipstick remove/install). If you have really large hands and dont have access to stubby/cut wrenches and have an aftermarket K member go with the kooks. For everyone else I'd suggest the arh's.

Pictures of my Kooks setup:

0BBB42E4-976C-488A-8015-8F49A87962A9_zpsnv68giow.jpg

9F057B84-ADAC-4674-B6ED-8F94A2CC9543_zpsfvnklexu.jpg

B26CD652-5451-4012-B656-1DDAE9340136_zpsvatka5uh.jpg

Pictures of ARH's.

C401B839-6821-4418-8BB2-FC3FF7D3D8D9_zps8pnbsdje.jpg

D795989F-378D-4039-8CC1-AF7C504C92DF_zpsprbwcquz.jpg

B2EC42FB-3551-4704-99D6-E976C13B8BA0_zpsefebsskm.jpg

ctgreddy

Established Member
Also I'll add the arh car kept egr and the egr tube fit extremely easily. that really surprised me. However this car was an 01 cobra so egr tube for ours would be different. But if the stock tube fit this easy on a stock 01 it should also fit easily on an 03/04. My car has no egr so I cant speak for the Kooks.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Also I'll add the arh car kept egr and the egr tube fit extremely easily. that really surprised me. However this car was an 01 cobra so egr tube for ours would be different. But if the stock tube fit this easy on a stock 01 it should also fit easily on an 03/04. My car has no egr so I cant speak for the Kooks.

Egr tube on my kooks was easy to get to from underneath :thumbsup: However the egr port itself is very dingy and you can bend/break it off easily if you are not careful

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice comparison. Main reason I went with arh was because my shop recommended them. They said fit and overall design is better.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I'm running the Kooks 1 3/4s..

I agree with the slip fit primarys being a problem. I'm pretty sure I have a slight leak coming from there. Other than that I really like them.

Zemedici

Established Member
I just put the kooks 1 3/4s on my cobra, and I got a replacement steering shaft, so now I have clearance for days :D

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
I noticed the exhaust ports are different between the two. anyone know if theres a power difference between the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread