real quick compression question

bloodhound248

Classic Muscle Car Guru
Established Member
hey guys, im currently building a motor and i need to know whats the highest compression ratio i will be able to run on pump gas? thanks alot

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
I wouldnt go higher then 11:1, mine is 10.5:1 and runs perfect on 93. You might be able to get away with 11:1 if you guys have sunoco 94.

octane

Established Member
It depends on several factors. I normally try to run 10.5 - 11 with aluminum heads and about 1/2 a point lower with iron heads. It also depends on your camshaft specs. You are after "cranking pressure", which will depend on how long the valves are open and when they are open. Hope this helps.

DropTopFord 5 0

Established Member
Jman20427 said:
I wouldnt go higher then 11:1, mine is 10.5:1 and runs perfect on 93. You might be able to get away with 11:1 if you guys have sunoco 94.
I thought they stopped making SUNOCO 94...? at least in Mass, i loved that stuff until about 6 months ago, now we only have 93, at the same price as 94... also, we're just assuming this is N/A right, dont forget about any boost you might ever want to run... which is often a big no-no w/ high compression... :nono:

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Well, the new Z06 runs 11:1 on 91. Sport bikes and direct injection BMW engines also run 12:1 or more on 91. I don't know what a Ford engine can do though.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
DropTopFord 5 0 said:
I thought they stopped making SUNOCO 94...? at least in Mass, i loved that stuff until about 6 months ago, now we only have 93, at the same price as 94... also, we're just assuming this is N/A right, dont forget about any boost you might ever want to run... which is often a big no-no w/ high compression... :nono:

I dont know where he lives, I know were still have some stations in CT that have it. and a little nitrous didnt hurt anyone :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread