Real info on the '06 Cobra. How long?

Vibrant_Sn95

Established Member
This was published info. nothing concrete, but some info on the upcoming Cobra or whatever it'll be called. Sounds like the making of a bad-ass cobra...the like of we've yet to see:).

Phil Martens has put his fingerprints all over the new mustang.....Martens also has an idea where the next SVT Cobra is headed: We have to have a Cobra that is world-class level. The old fox platform couldn't deliver that; this one can". Expect a bigger, broader separation between Mustang GT's and SVT Cobra's, he says. BMW's M cars are serving as inspiration....The expectation in this category is for a much more refined product.

"Also likely: supercharging and a substantial increase from the current Cobra's 390 hp. Ford has set no firm price ceiling, Martens says. "The only restriction is that you have to build it on the mustang line, and the quality has to be there.".

FLBuckeye

Established Member
Sounds like the '06 SVT Mustang will be either Boss or one of those other names - SVT GT 500 etc., with Cobra Shelby available too. (Shelby prob with a HIGH price tag -$49 K ??)

But I get the funny feeling the price "ceiling" is going to be tested.
I would have to expect a jump in price a LOT like the past '03 Cobra.....can you say $39 Coupe, $44K Vert ?

With a new platform, bigger budget, and it sounds like the '06 SVT GT 500 (or whatever it will be called) will be something to really compete with M3, and would be worthy of such a price.
(But can enough SVT customers afford a higher price, we'll find out)

History has shown, should be another SVT Success !

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Vibrant_Sn95
This was published info. nothing concrete, but some info on the upcoming Cobra or whatever it'll be called. Sounds like the making of a bad-ass cobra...the like of we've yet to see:).

The material you quoted sounds pretty good. The problem is though, they fail to mention, with a new (purpose built) platform, a freshly developed Cobra suspension setup for that shiny new (purpose built) S197 chassis, quality in competition with BMW (as implied), and whatever monsterous power plant powers that beast your probably going to be forking over slightly south of what a car like the M3 costs (of course either way I myself would prefer a Super Stang over a Bimmer, not to insult the BMW, its just my preference).

My point is though, the great thing about the Mustang has always been its affordability, and with the acception of the R model Cobra's, until recently with the 03/04's running upwards of 40 grand, I'd say the Mustangs managed to hold to that reputation fairly well over the passed 40 years. But it sounds like its going to get to the point where the Mustang is going to end up costing as much as a car like the Corvette. I guess thats to be expected though if your going to compete at that level, but I just think in that aspect, its kind of a shame.

Last edited:

GAMEOVER

Established Member
Originally posted by Lethalchem
I bought my '03 with the intention of picking up a new cobra in '07. Noway in hell I'm buying the first run of a brandnew platform like this...especially when they couldn't even get the 03 down properly.

'03 was a first run, and the platform isn't even new. ford has been working on this for about 2 years now, so nothing that brand new.:shrug:

DA_MYSTIK_1

Established Member
WELL SHIT IF I HAVE 2 WAIT UNTILL 07 4 DA NEW COBRA 2 COME OUT OR BOSS OR WHATEVER THEN IT BETTER BE WORTH IT LOL. IM PRETTY SURE WE WILL ALL B AMAZED ON WHAT SVT DOES FOR THE YR 07.

LOOKS LIKE I HAVE 2 SAVE UP AGAIN AND BUY ME ANOTHER NEW COBRA LOL. BUT BYE THEN IM GONNA HAVE A KB P/P, HEADS P/P AND EVERY THING THAT I CAN POSSIBLY WANT 2 BOLT ON 2 IT LOL

Originally posted by FLBuckeye
Sounds like the '06 SVT Mustang will be either Boss or one of those other names - SVT GT 500 etc., with Cobra Shelby available too. (Shelby prob with a HIGH price tag -$49 K ??)

But I get the funny feeling the price "ceiling" is going to be tested.
I would have to expect a jump in price a LOT like the past '03 Cobra.....can you say $39 Coupe, $44K Vert ?

With a new platform, bigger budget, and it sounds like the '06 SVT GT 500 (or whatever it will be called) will be something to really compete with M3, and would be worthy of such a price.
(But can enough SVT customers afford a higher price, we'll find out)

History has shown, should be another SVT Success !

The Shelby Cobra is going to cost ALOT more than that. Look for some interesting announcements on the SVT Mustang front within the next year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread