Ready for Mods / Where to Start? Opinions Needed

SVT Sam

Established Member
Well, I've mentioned before that this is my first 4.6 car as well as my first 4V engine with the IRS system. I'm quickly learning that $1400 doesn't travel to far when it comes to mods :p

I've done several 5.0 builds and the SN95 platform and the fox platform. Definitely a lot cheaper haha! But, I love my car and its time to start modding. I've tossed around several ideas in my head. Should I start with a few more bolts on for power (March pulleys, Accufab, etc.) or start with suspension and brakes. I'm really wanting some gears though too.

So where to start? The car is a daily driver. I have about a 20 mile round trip to work, which is about all she see's during the week. I'm wanting to lower it, but I found out rather quickly, shocks and struts coupled with springs and some CC plates starts to add up quick.

Really with this being a DD and my only car at this point, I'm looking to plant about 320-330 rwhp matched with some gears for pep. Once I buy another beater car, forced induction is a must, but this is at least 1.5 to 2 years out.

Car currently has:
BBK CAI
FM American Thunder cat-back
O/R H - (Not installed yet, sitting at the shop)
SCT Tune

Ideas on where to start, or what did you guys start with? Need help figuring this out. Budget is right around 12 to $1400 at this moment in time. Also, where are you guys getting most of your parts from? Lethal, AM, CJ's?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Full length subframe connectors. MM or steeda will do nicely, don't waste your money on the powder coated ones, the welder will just have to grind it off to weld them to your car. Rattle can the subframes and the welds with flat black afterwards.

SVT Sam

Established Member
Awesome!

Gears and full length connectors on the list.

What gears do you recommend? I've always ran Motives in my other live axle 8.8's and in the Jeeps I've done.

Rentlyrent

Established Member
Cut the top off. HA!! Gears are the one thing I feel I'll need but won't be doing yet. I've heard over and over that long tubes wake the 4V up. I would just keep it simple and reliable until it stops being your DD. Get the look you want since you plan on force feeding it later.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Awesome!

Gears and full length connectors on the list.

What gears do you recommend? I've always ran Motives in my other live axle 8.8's and in the Jeeps I've done.

Motives are fine or FRPP. Actually, at some point i heard motive was making FRPP's sets.

mystickb1996

Established Member
what year is the car? for gears go with 4:10s or in the least 3:90s anything less will feel sluggish. also if you plan on a centi blower (vortech, procharger) you will be ready to go gear wise already. and i just ordered FRPP gears from white bear lake ford (there a vendor here) and got them shipped for around 130-140 which is crazy cheap

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Gears... definitely. Also Dont forget about a nice short throw shifter. I have the MGW and it is amazing. No longer miss 3rd just tap the shifter up from second and it goes right to third tap down from third right to fourth.

SVT Sam

Established Member
what year is the car? for gears go with 4:10s or in the least 3:90s anything less will feel sluggish. also if you plan on a centi blower (vortech, procharger) you will be ready to go gear wise already. and i just ordered FRPP gears from white bear lake ford (there a vendor here) and got them shipped for around 130-140 which is crazy cheap

Car is a 2001. I will be going with 4:10's. I'm not a big fan of centrifugal blowers. When it is force fed, it will be a twin screw setup. Also, that is insanely cheap for the FRPP gears. Might have to check them out.

Gears... definitely. Also Dont forget about a nice short throw shifter. I have the MGW and it is amazing. No longer miss 3rd just tap the shifter up from second and it goes right to third tap down from third right to fourth.

I've heard great things about MGW, but never ran one of there shifters. I will researching them more though.

Also, has anyone ran the Ford GT cams with a N/A setup? I know MMR was selling them at one time. Although cheap for cams, is it worth the time for installation? I would installing myself, so I'm not having to pay a shop for install.

Rentlyrent

Established Member
Sam, our friend Travis has a MGW shifter in his 03. He loves it. That's what I'll be buying when the time comes.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Car is a 2001. I will be going with 4:10's. I'm not a big fan of centrifugal blowers. When it is force fed, it will be a twin screw setup. Also, that is insanely cheap for the FRPP gears. Might have to check them out.

Depending how soon this will happen I would think twice about the 4.10's. Especially with the 5 speed. First gear would be useless with the twin screw.

I've heard great things about MGW, but never ran one of there shifters. I will researching them more though.

Also, has anyone ran the Ford GT cams with a N/A setup? I know MMR was selling them at one time. Although cheap for cams, is it worth the time for installation? I would installing myself, so I'm not having to pay a shop for install.

I've had the MGW on a 3650 and now a T-56. I really like it. No, the GT cams aren't worth the time and money for an N/A car.

SVT Sam

Established Member
Depending how soon this will happen I would think twice about the 4.10's. Especially with the 5 speed. First gear would be useless with the twin screw.

I've had the MGW on a 3650 and now a T-56. I really like it. No, the GT cams aren't worth the time and money for an N/A car.

Sorry about the late post. Been busy the past few days and short on time. The twin screw will definitely be down the road. A good year and half to two years. Don't get me wrong, I would like for it to be sooner, but I have a few other things on the money priority list that are not car related.

Good to know on the GT cams. I did order a few cosmetic things today. Chin Spoiler, tail light tint (Not really a fan of the bright red lights clashing with the yellow paint) also order the black deck panel cover. Couple odds and ends. I did swap out the old crappy single DIN JVC deck that someone installed with a half assed dash kit. Threw in a nice double DIN Kenwood touchscreen. Looks pretty nice. 100X better than it did.

Should have subframe connectors ordered this week and installed late next week. Looking for some wheels as well...

I want to lower the car just a bit. Nothing crazy, just to get rid of some fender gap in the front is the main thing. I've been looking at the Eibach Pro Kit springs. They seem to have a small drop. I've read a few other things though that the rear factory shocks will collapse and can't hold up with lowering springs that really drop the car down. Was wondering if that goes for these as well? Eventually the shocks and struts will be replaced, but I don't really want to drop $600+ on a set of Bilstiens at the moment along with $280 for springs. CC plates shouldn't be needed for this drop size should they?

Here is the Kenwood: Uploaded the Snake for the background image...

IMG_20140603_194626_zps9765ec05.jpg

Last edited:

Rentlyrent

Established Member
Kenwood looks awesome. I ordered a cheaper Jensen double din touch screen yesterday. Can't change the background image but it was $200. Between friends and family we will have a hell of a Ford line up. We counted 22 last night. Lol

shurur

Established Member
NASVT fixed!!!

General consensus for NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

I've even seen ~330 RWHP if your OEM cams are degreed dead on...which is luck of the draw at assembly, as they are assembled by the brass chain links.

As I understand it, this is the reason some get 265 and some get 270+ RWHP stock.

Just having the cams off by a bit makes a difference.

360-370 RWHP:
106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner
Tune

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I've had the prokit on my car for over 10 years and the stock shocks are still fine.

Users who are viewing this thread